Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shonee Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2009, 03:59 AM
    root canal
    I have an achy tooth that has a crack through it also .my dentist today took x-ray and it indicated small infection at root.I get panics at dentist and with injections and am only allowed non adrenalin based local anaestethics. I have heard weird stories about root canals e.g. they can give you major trouble when flying ,that they don't work etc ,I have heart murmers and am worried about infection ,is root canal my best option ?its not a molar tooth.my dentist said if it was her she would have the root canal done .im freaking out about the whole thing and scared of making a clot of myself by having a full blown panic.
    Irishgirl Posts: 129, Reputation: 18

Feb 9, 2009, 04:10 AM
    Holey moley
    God chill lax,you'll give yourself a heart attack! I had 1 about a year ago and I fell asleep during it and I hate the dentist,if you've ever had your teeth cleaned and polished then its about half as painful as that, honestly though tell your dentist your nervous and if you can have music on and ear protectors cause it usually the noise that's scary
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 06:38 PM

The first thing that jumps out at me is that you say you have a heart murmur. If this is the case, you should take a large dose of an antibiotic one hour prior to having ANY dental work done to protect your heart. Your dentist will prescribe this. Normally it's 4 X 500mg of amoxicillin if you aren't allergic to it.

A root canal is a normal dental procedure. You always ever hear all the horror stories from people. Other than Irishgirl I bet you haven't had anyone tell you it was a breeze.

If the tooth is cracked, it may not even be repairable. If the crack is below the gum or if it's a vertical crack rather than a horizontal crack there may be no other option than removing the tooth.

The best treatment is always to save the tooth when possible.

Your dentist may be able to prescribe a sedative for you so you can relax a little easier during the treatment.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    A root canal is a normal dental procedure. You always ever hear all the horror stories from people. Other than Irishgirl I bet you haven't had anyone tell you it was a breeze.
    I've had four throughout my lifetime. Each one was a breeze! (painless too)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal gone bad [ 13 Answers ]

I had a root canal about a year ago, the thing is I still feel pain and the tooth is very sensitive to the touch which confuses me as my endontist/dentist extracted the root. I have gone to him to explain he looked at it and took x-rays but he could find nothing wrong he said I must just give it...

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I had a re-do on a root canal on my upper right no.2 molar last one in back, wisdom teeth have been extracted. X-rays showed a cyst or pocket of infected area, or something. Re-do was successful though pocket area did not drain. I have had trouble focusing with my right eye before re-do and since,...

Re doing root canal [ 1 Answers ]

Before 16 years ago I have root canal and after that I have surgery (apicoectomy) .last year I put one bridge upper and now on tooth #8 I have pocket and I went to dentist ,they took x-ray and he said that the root canal failed and I have to do one more surgery.he said that if he do the root canal...

Root Canal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There I just had the first part of a root canal done today... you know the part where they make a nice big hole in the tooth and take everything out... I have a temporary filling for now but I was wondering if there is anything special that I could do to "baby" this thing so there are no...

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I am on antibiotics for a root canal that is infected, it still swells and is uncomfortacle when I lay down at night. I had it exrayed , it wasn't cracked looked good, but is it bad since it won't get better at night. I have a temporary crown on it and when it swells is hits my bottom teeth is that...

View more questions Search