Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STN157 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 11:59 PM
    Do I need a root canal ?
    I have a bottom front tooth that is gowing darker over the years. There is no pain - never has been. The colour of the tooth is not an issue for me - it does not show.
    The dentist X-Rayed the tooth which appeared completely normal. He tested the tooth and says it is `dead' inside.

My question

Could my tooth be compromised in some way if I have it X-Rayed every year but don't have a root canal unles the X-Ray shows damage or the tooth causes me problems ?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 04:46 AM

If the colour doesn't bother you and there is no infection present on the x-ray then there is no need for you to have a root canal. It IS a good idea to have an x-ray taken every year or two OR if you have a symptom such as sensitivity to heat, biting or if you see a pimple on the gum that comes and goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I really need a root canal? [ 3 Answers ]

April 2008: - my dentist put a filling into the top of my back, bottom molar -- she noted that it was a pretty small filling - the tooth didn't bother me at all prior to this - a couple days later I started getting an acute, sharp pain when I chewed on that side

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I had a re-do on a root canal on my upper right no.2 molar last one in back, wisdom teeth have been extracted. X-rays showed a cyst or pocket of infected area, or something. Re-do was successful though pocket area did not drain. I have had trouble focusing with my right eye before re-do and since,...

Re doing root canal [ 1 Answers ]

Before 16 years ago I have root canal and after that I have surgery (apicoectomy) .last year I put one bridge upper and now on tooth #8 I have pocket and I went to dentist ,they took x-ray and he said that the root canal failed and I have to do one more surgery.he said that if he do the root canal...

Root Canal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There I just had the first part of a root canal done today... you know the part where they make a nice big hole in the tooth and take everything out... I have a temporary filling for now but I was wondering if there is anything special that I could do to "baby" this thing so there are no...

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I am on antibiotics for a root canal that is infected, it still swells and is uncomfortacle when I lay down at night. I had it exrayed , it wasn't cracked looked good, but is it bad since it won't get better at night. I have a temporary crown on it and when it swells is hits my bottom teeth is that...

View more questions Search