Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malisa buchanan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Cheap divorce
    I have been separated for 6 yrs. I live in Ohio. And he lives in California. I have no income at this time and he is ruinning my credit still. I was told that there is a way to start an easy divorce by posting an ad in the paper in the town he lives in. is this true and how would I go about this process? Would greatly appreciate your feedback. Sincerely desperate for a divorce
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 17, 2012, 09:12 AM
    I spent $100 on my divorce, the filing fee (some years ago). I borrowed divorce papers and copied them, substituting our names. But it was an amicable divorce. You can do the same by going to your county courthouse and getting the form. Maybe you can even get it online. If you have his address and can get him to cooperate, you don't have to publish an announcement in a paper.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
    No its not true. You were married by the state, therefore you need to be divorced by the state. Which means a court of law.

You can use publication to serve him notice of the divorce, but only if you don't know where he is.

If he agrees to the divorce it shouldn't cost much.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
    Legally separated or living apart?

It makes a difference - if it's a legal separation it can more easily be turned into a divorce.
    current pert

Dec 17, 2012, 10:04 AM
    Ohio would allow dissolution (no fault) because they have lived apart at least a year.
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Agree with you on dissolution in Ohio - no fault, living apart. Husband still has to be served.

I note that phrase (for some reason I cannot copy and paste) about the husband ruining wife's credit "from afar." Sounds like some property/debt need to be addressed, and I believe it's foolish to do so without an Attorney. OP could end up divorced and still responsible for husband's debts.

(In NY "no fault" covers just about everything, including incompatibility.)

No question that the OP has grounds.
    current pert

Dec 17, 2012, 11:15 AM
    If she can't afford an attorney, is there anything she can do about the continuing harm to her credit, other than filing for dissolution ASAP?
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
    Without knowing the exact circumstances it's difficult to say. Are they legally separated? Is he running up joint accounts? Is this a question of her name on his credit report? Are these unpaid accounts from when they were together?

Something else? If she dissolves the marriage without addressing the financial issues she could make the problem worse.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 17, 2012, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by malisa buchanan;
    ... i have no income at this time and he is ruinning my credit still. ...
    If you have no income, how are you surviving; you must be getting real hungry?

And how is he ruining your credit? Do you have accounts in common? Why?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get a free/cheap divorce? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello to all... well I'm in need of a divorce asap!! I just got a job and do not have a lot of money and want to do this all right,. he will sign the papers if I take care of everything. We have 3 things we might fight over... well 1 I know of and it is our 2 year old daughter... I have 2 other...

Easy and Cheap way to get a divorce from missing husband? [ 9 Answers ]

I have been separated from my husband for 14 years. I have moved to a different state and I have no idea of where he is. I want a divorce as soon as possible because I am remarrying next year. What should I do? Thanks, Deana

Cheap divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I have been told by many people that I can divorce my husband while he is in jail and it will only cost me a dollar, is that true? If so where can I find the information that I am looking for?

DIY is cheap divorce? [ 4 Answers ]

Please help me. My head is spinning and confused on what to do. My husband cheated on me for almost a year now and I just knew about it. I want to divorce him but I just don't have enough money of my own to do it. We don't have any children yet. My best friend suggested that I go online and get...

Divorce needed desperately, cheap! [ 6 Answers ]

The usually story, I have not money and need a divorce. She is in jail ( drugs, shopplifting, etc) She took all the money we had, she has left several times within the 12 year marriage. Has a boyfriend in Georgia, threatening my life. The two kids have always been with me. I am struggling to make...

View more questions Search