Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lory Jones Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 02:43 AM
    Divorce needed desperately, cheap!
    The usually story, I have not money and need a divorce. She is in jail ( drugs, shopplifting, etc) She took all the money we had, she has left several times within the 12 year marriage. Has a boyfriend in Georgia, threatening my life. The two kids have always been with me. I am struggling to make ends meet and need to get out of this relationship. But HOW? I need help. Make too much money for legal aid. They don't look at the bills.
    Anyone?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory Jones
    The usualy story, I have not money and need a divorce. She is in jail ( drugs, shopplifting, etc) She took all the money we had, she has left several times within the 12 year marriage. Has a boyfriend in Georgia, threatening my life. The two kids ahve always been with me. I am struggling to make ends meet and need to get out of this relationship. But HOW? I need help. Make too much money for legal aid. They don't look at the bills.
    Anyone?
    Change your phone number and the locks on the door. Go to the magistrate's office and get a restraining order or family protection order. Open a savings account at a bank she is not involved with and start saving each pay day, whether $2, $5, or $10, until you have enough for your legal expenses. Call some lawyers in your area and talk to them about your situation. I have included a site for you to look at, but I can only imagine what would happen to my car if I tried to rebuild the engine. Check this: Georgia Divorce Forms and Georgia Divorce Laws Online
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 26, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Some states allow you to file yourself and if you can't afford the filing fees the courts will pay them by exemption. Another thing is to help save money pay for everything with a bill and put all the change away. You would be surprised how fast all that adds up.
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

May 26, 2008, 08:45 PM
    A common misconseption is that you need a lawyer for a divorce. Its not true. You can do it on your own. However, since your wife is in jail I'm not so sure how well it would work, considering you have kids. Child support can be messy. It may depend on where you live but they can wave the fee at the courthouse for the paper work as long as you take all of your bills to prove you don't have any money left over at the end of the month to pay
    Lory Jones Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Being that she is in jail, I do not expect child support. I have had custody of them all of their lives. She has come and go as she pleases, years at a time. Time for me to get on with my life. Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2008, 05:03 AM
    At this point, just decide to keep her out of your life. As noted, don't let her back in if she comes back, move on. Then save up for a divorce. You can get the paperwork online to file.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 27, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory Jones
    Being that she is in jail, I do not expect child support. I have had custody of them all of their lives. She has come and go as she pleases, years at a time. Time for me to get on with my life. Thank you!
    Child support is a mandate by the courts. She will have to be paying something. Being in jail is not an excuse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get a free/cheap divorce? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello to all... well I'm in need of a divorce asap!! I just got a job and do not have a lot of money and want to do this all right,. he will sign the papers if I take care of everything. We have 3 things we might fight over... well 1 I know of and it is our 2 year old daughter... I have 2 other...

Home-based typing job desperately needed [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any genuine home based typing or online jobs? I can't afford anymore scams where you have to pay for information, only to find out that the job entails scamming other people! I don't need to "get rich quick" but I do need to be able to pay my rent! Please help. I'm desperate!

Divorce needed quick and simple [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know where to get the form I need to fill out for a divorce in Arkansas. I have been separated from my husband for over a year .I moved out when I found out that he was seeing some one else and he got fired from his job and had no desire to find another one. I was not about to support him...

Help Desperately Needed [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya! I have no idea in which category my problem belongs to but I'm still going to post it here though I'm nt really a teen... I'm almost 12... anywayz.. I have no idea what I should take up as my career... now you must be thinking, I'm so young and I have a lots of years to think about it but...

View more questions Search