Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eljerry Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2012, 10:50 PM
    Two ceiling fans with lights one wall switch
    I have one fan pre wired in the room I want to add another fan in the same wall switch do I just pig tail the wires from fan 1 to fan 2?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2012, 10:58 PM
    Yes but make sure they are hot wired through the switch and not switch looped. If switch looped it is a bit more complicated.

Dec 15, 2012, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Yes but make sure they are hot wired through the switch and not switch looped. If switch looped it is a bit more complicated.
    There is an outlet coming from the ceiling fan it's in the attic it was used for an old antenna converter. Correct me if I'm wrong but I could just get rid of that plug and use it as the second wiring for the other fan right?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eljerry View Post
    There is an outlet coming from the ceiling fan it's in the attic it was used for an old antenna converter. correct me if I'm wrong but I could just get rid of that plug and use it as the second wiring for the other fan right?
    You could directly wire the fan that way but remember, the fan leads will always be hot. If you have wall access, run a lead down the wall and install a new box and a switch loop circuit.

Dec 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    You could directly wire the fan that way but remember, the fan leads will always be hot. If you have wall access, run a lead down the wall and install a new box and a switch loop circuit.
    By hot you mean on all the time? We're going to use the pull chains to turn on and off the fans/lights I just want to know if its safe to do it this way
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Dec 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
    He means hot all the time. It's what we call "constant hot" as opposed to "switched" hot.

Using the pull chains is perfectly safe and acceptable. Turn the circuit off before you do this, please be extra careful with the neutral (white) wire as it may be shared with another live circuit.

Dec 16, 2012, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shuntripper View Post
    he means hot all the time. It's what we call "constant hot" as opposed to "switched" hot.

using the pull chains is perfectly safe and acceptable. turn the circuit off before you do this, please be extra careful with the neutral (white) wire as it may be shared with another live circuit.
    Im turning the main off before I do it thank you very much guys ! Awesome site

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect 2 ceiling fans, with light kits, to one wall on/off switch [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace 2 ceiling lights with 2 ceiling fans with light kits. The existing light fixtures are controlled by 1 on/off wall switch. From what I can see: the wall switch has 2 cables, 3 wires per cable, a black, white and ground wire. It seems the 1st ceiling light has a jumper cable to...

How can I control 2 ceiling fans with one in wall switch? [ 3 Answers ]

Need switch to be a decorator style switch to control 2 ceiling fans,

Can I use one 3-speed wall switch for my two Harbor Breeze ceiling fans? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought 2 new Harbor Breeze Calera ceiling fans for my newly remodeled great room and want to control them in parallel from the single pre-wired wall switch location. These are simple pull chain 3-speed reversible fans, no lights. They offer remote control and wall control options in the specs....

Two ceiling fans- 1 wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have 1 wall switch connected to two porch lights. Can I remove the lights, install fans, and have them work off 1 universal wall control?

Connecting dual wall switch ceiling fans [ 3 Answers ]

Fan wiring instructions are not all-inclusive. I am replacing a light fixture with a fan/light combo in a room with separate fan and light wall switches. House wiring to fixture is four wire, ground, white, black and red. Red and white were in service for light fixture, with black being idle. ...

View more questions Search