Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Canice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Connecting dual wall switch ceiling fans
    Fan wiring instructions are not all-inclusive. I am replacing a light fixture with a fan/light combo in a room with separate fan and light wall switches. House wiring to fixture is four wire, ground, white, black and red. Red and white were in service for light fixture, with black being idle. Fan wiring instructions say to connect black to black and black/white fan wire to "the wire from the wall switch." Do I connect the black/white fan wire to the idle (black) fixture wire and disregard wire color?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Black from switch and at ceiling go to Fan Black. Fan
    Red from switch and at ceiling go to Fan Black/White. Lite
    Whites only connect to other whites.
    Greens only go to greens and bare.
    Canice Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Black from switch and at ceiling go to Fan Black. Fan
    Red from switch and at ceiling go to Fan Black/White. Lite
    Whites only connect to other whites.
    Greens only go to greens and bare.
    Thanks, Stratmando.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 01:33 AM
    Black to black, red to black/white, and white to white. This will yield the light controlled from the wall and the fan controlled from the pullchain. If you want both the fan and light controlled from the wall, connect black AND the striped wire to red and cap off the ceiling black.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring for DUAL wall switch to control Ceiling Fan and Light Separately [ 20 Answers ]

Greetings. I recently bought a new ceiling fan and light kit to replace one that had been in my sun porch for over 20 years. A dual wall switch was always used to control the light and fan separately on the older fan. The fan speeds were controlled by pull chain. Before I took the old fan down, I...

Can fans with pull swithches be installed on a wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought 3 of your fans and they have pull switches and would like to know how to intall them to a wall switch.

Connecting Ceiling Fan to Wall Switch [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced a ceiling fan in one of my bedrooms, in the process of removing the old fan, some of the wires got loose, so I was not sure how to hook up the new fan. I have 3 white and 4 black wires coming out of the ceiling of the bedroom, I connected all black in the ceiling to the black wire on the...

Connecting Ceiling Fans To Hot Air furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: Wondering How Too Connect Two Ceiling Fans To My Hot Air Furnace, So When The Furnace Blower Comes On, The Ceiling Fans Would Also Come On Automatically... the Building Is Block, 30 Feet By 40 Feet With a 14 Foot High Insulated Ceiling, Used Only As A Storage Building & Usually No One...

Dual motor ceiling fans [ 1 Answers ]

What is the advantage of having a ceiling fan which has dual motor where ( for instance say 4 blades) 2 blades go one way and the other 2 blades go the other way? Hampton Bay Lighting has one and I am trying to find is it more energy effeicient.

View more questions Search