Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marshanny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Garnishment of joint bank account
    I have a joint account with my mother she is the first owner there was money taken out of the account for an old debt of mine which I had tried to pay were they allowed to take money out of this account since I am second signer on this account?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Hello marsha:

Yes- second, first, third - they don't care. If it's got your name on it, it's your money... Excuse me, it's THEIR money now.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2007, 06:34 AM
    It depends on the nature of the account. But if you were listed as a Joint Tenant, then yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I will be moving to florida soon, I plan to open up a bank account. Question is, my father will be moving down also, but for the mean time i was wondering is there any way i can have a joined state-to-state back account with him, or is there some way i can put money in, and he can fully access the...

Joint Account Garnishment [ 11 Answers ]

I realized that with Citibank, the a joint account is subject to Garnishment. Is that the case with all Banks?

Garnishment on our bank account [ 4 Answers ]

Two days ago I found out that a collection agency has gotten a court order fro a judgment against our checking account. Apparently this was for a debt my husband had. We are both on the checking account. My Apparently never received a letter, notice or anything else to notify us that there was a...

Garnishment Of A Joint Account [ 1 Answers ]

I have a credit card company trying to garnish my joint checking account. Can they by law go after my Revolcable Trust Account in which I have with my wife if, my wife is the one being garnisheried

Writ served on joint bank account [ 4 Answers ]

A writ was served against a joint bank account with my current husband. The account was set out as exempt in a motion I filed myself. The original debt was 15 years ago with ex-husband. The bank has frozen the account so we have aboslutely no money even to hire a lawyer! The writ was served the...

View more questions Search