Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SunDebt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Joint Account Garnishment
    I realized that with Citibank, the a joint account is subject to Garnishment. Is that the case with all Banks?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2006, 08:17 AM
    Yes, it is. If an account type is garnishable in your area, then any bank where that account type is must comply with a court ordered garnishment.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Is the garnishment on a joint account for the credit card, if so then, yes they can, If the credit card was in sole individual than it may not. It depends on which state you live.

Apr 26, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Thanks. The Creditcard Debt was only one individual, the garnished bank account is joint. This is for NY State.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Ouch. If the account has already been garnished, then the garnishment was granted by the court.

So back to your original question, this would be the case regardless of which bank that account was at.

Apr 26, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Yes I realize it was granted by the courts but my question was whether the bank was remiss on honoring it since the account was joint and because different banks and states are subjec to different rules.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2006, 10:23 AM
    I hope I did not sound demeaning. Sometimes folk just don't comprehend the process.

I scrounged around quite a bit and cannot find the letter of the law for NY regarding this. I did, though, find 2 interesting things:

1. In some states the bank may "refuse with impunity" a garnishment order on a joint account if the debt is in the name of only one of the joint accountholders.

2. Also, in some states, "ownership of the money" can be a key factor; that is, who deposited the money, who took out, etc...

Sorry I wasn't able to do better.

mr. yet, do you have an online source for this?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Where was the judgment obtain from? New York or another state? Was the judgment transfer to New York, Are you party to the judgment?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2006, 10:38 AM
    If this is less than 30 days, file Motion To Quash the garnishment, If the person whom owns the funds in the account can prove the funds are their along, they will have a chance to quash the garnishment, it must to material proof of ownership. If this is a judgment from another state File a Motion to Dismiss lack of Jurisdiction.

When did the entry of judgment start?

Apr 26, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Not demeaning at all. I have sent a letter to dispute within 30 days. Judgement was from NY and executed in NY. Thanks for the two points. Cheking with bank re your point and ownership of money will come in handy if I need to go to court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2006, 04:35 PM
    I hear people many times saying that a garnishment can't be done to joint accounts , and it may be so in your state, many many states allow garnishments of any account that has your name on it.

That is why we have on here dozens of people, mothers who were garnished from their sons debts, boyfiend/girlfiend accounts and so on.
    I believe they will allow it if you don't show up in court at the hearings where they fnd you in default and order the garnishments
    froggy169 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Mr. Yet.
    Ref to your answer on the joint account. I was told that if the debt is only in one persons name that they can only take 50 % of what is in the account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account garnishment law [ 8 Answers ]

Can a creditor place a garnishment on my account and take or hold funds without notifying me first. This has recently happened to my bank account and now there are numerous over draft charges because of this hold and the transactions where prior to the hold is this legal. Thank You, Tbreland

Writ of Garnishment (Bank Account) [ 9 Answers ]

If A writ of Garnishment is issued by a court in Texas can the plaintiff execute this garnishment on my bank account in New York? I am a resident of Texas but when I moved from New york I never changed banks. My bank is also not available anywhere in the State of Texas. Can the creditor still...

Checking Account Garnishment Law MO. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a single checking account that's is being garnished. 1. No notification that the garnishment was taking place or in affect. 2. My work requires direct deposit. 3. Every dime I make is gone the moment it is deposited. 4. I went to court about a year ago and signed saying I agreed...

Frivolous Garnishment On Bank Account [ 6 Answers ]

Hello friends... i need help!! My bank account was garnished by a credit card creditor as so was my direct deposit paycheck. i'm a mother of four and live paycheck to paycheck. I called to the creditor and advised them i never had a credit card nor lived in the city,state that they stated they...

Joint account interest filing separately [ 5 Answers ]

In the case of a joint account, who should show "interest income". I am Filing as resident alien. My husband's filing as non resident alien (and does Not have to pay taxes on interest income, I believe).

View more questions Search