Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjdiaz Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 05:54 PM
    Installing A/C unit
    Installing an A/C unit.. These r electrical specs...
    Electrical
    • Rated Voltage Outdoor: 230/208-60-1
    • Rated Voltage Indoor: 230/208-60-1
    • Rated Amperage: 11.0/12.0
    • Minimum Circuit Ampacity (MCA): 16.8
    • Maximum Overcurrent Protection (MOP): 25
    The unit is going 18 feet away from panel and not in sight of electrical panel..
    What size fuses on fusible dissconnect ?
    What size wire ?
    What size fuses ?
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Aug 29, 2012, 06:27 PM
    I would use #10 wire and fuse it at 25 amps, the recommended max over current rating. You could probably get away with #12 at 20 amps as well. Is this a single phase or 3 phase unit?

Aug 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 165278 View Post
    I would use #10 wire and fuse it at 25 amps, the recommended max over current rating. You could probably get away with #12 at 20 amps as well. Is this a single phase or 3 phase unit?
    A single phase... breaker size??
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Aug 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pjdiaz View Post
    A single phase...breaker size????
    What are you talking about? The A/C unit doesn't need to be fused at the disconnect, so you would just use a 25 or 20 breaker as per my previous comment. I imagine this is a residential installation. I've never seen a motor that is mutli tap multi phase. If this unit is pre-wired at 208v it won't work. So my question stands, single or 3 phase?

Aug 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
    Read Specs I sent u...
    Single Phase... 230/208-60-1 = (voltage/voltage - hertz - phase)
    And if don't use a fusible disconnect your not protecting the equipment and the person who has to service the equipment in the future. I was asking this question so that I could prove a point on how many unqualified people are out there doing electrical work... You need to study the NEC code book... Start by reading Article 100 . These are basic definitions you should know... Then brush up on 310.16 ( Conductor Ampacity ). Then read to Article 440 ( Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Equipment ). Then read Article 430 (Motors)... Maybe you should use the NEC Handbook it has pictures. I bet you can't even tell me from what book the NEC is based from??

Aug 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
    Just because they sell fuseless disconnects it doesn't mean its right to use them...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
    I was asking this question so that I could prove a point on how many unqualified people are out there doing electrical work
    I think you proved your point, but not the way you think.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 165278 View Post
    I hesitate to reply because this threads is nothing more than a troll thread.

Why would you use #10 for a 16A A/C load??

"Probably get away with #12 at 20 amps as well"? Do you know for sure, or are you guessing?
    Code would allow #14 on a 25A breaker in this case. I'd use #12 just for the hell of it.

pjdiaz, sorry, I'm not playing you game any more.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2012, 04:29 AM
    To answer these specifc questions:

Quote Originally Posted by pjdiaz View Post
    What size fuses on fusible dissconnect ?
    What size wire ?
    What size fuses ?
    If the nameplate only states MOP, as this example provided does, then either fuses or an HACR rated circuit breaker is allowed.

If the nameplate states MOP fuses, then only fuses are allowed, usually satisfied by using fuses at the disconnecting means. No matter if a HACR rated circuit breaker is used at the beginning of the circuit.

If the nameplate states "HACR rated circuit breaker", then a breaker is allowed to be used at the beginning of the circuit, and no fuses required at the disconnecting means.

If the circuit breaker is not HACR rated, then the required disconnecting means at the unit shall be a 30 amp rated fusible disconnect and with 25 amp time delay fuses.

Assuming copper wire, this unit will require minimum #10 wire. #12 is not allowed as per NEC Section 240.4 (D) (5).

If only a HACR circuit breaker is used to protect branch circuit wiring and unit, it must be 25 Amp.

If fuses are used at the disconnect, because the feeder circuit breaker is not HACR rated, then the feeder circuit breaker can be 30 amp rated, with the 25 amp fuses at the unit.

Mike is incorrect with this statement:

"You could probably get away with #12 at 20 amps as well. Is this a single phase or 3 phase unit? "

Does this answer your questions?

Reading, understanding, and following the nameplate information is critical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing 3 Piece Tub And Shower unit [ 1 Answers ]

I ripped out old tub and tile and drywall. Water got in and wall started falling in. I want to buy a 3 Piece Tub And Shower unit. Do I have to put drywall back up? It is one of those units that just stacks.

Is instaling a 22 freon unit the same as installing a new410 freaon unit [ 5 Answers ]

Is installing a 410freon unit the same as installing a 22 freon unit or is it difrent

Installing Central AC unit [ 2 Answers ]

Can I have a new central AC unit installed without replacing my gas furnace, which is about 25yrs old?

Installing a new shower unit to replace old tub unit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are trying to install a replacement shower unit that fits in the space that our one unit tub was... The old one unit bath tub had walls that went up on all sides and had to be cut up in order to remove the unit from the house. The old tub unit was installed when we...

Installing a Packaged Unit [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a packaged unit for my new residence. If there is enough room in the attic, can I install the unit there? Do I have to get engineering done for any load calculations if I install the unit in the attic?

View more questions Search