Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jane52349 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Installing a new shower unit to replace old tub unit
    Hi Everyone! My husband and I are trying to install a replacement shower unit that fits in the space that our one unit tub was... The old one unit bath tub had walls that went up on all sides and had to be cut up in order to remove the unit from the house. The old tub unit was installed when we built our house 25 years ago and we had a leak in the walls and the tub had several bad places and had lost it's luster. The old tub was ancient and dying a slow death. We purchased a Sterling two seat shower unit with three walls that attach to the shower base. Our grown children were shocked that we bought a two seat shower unit. We are in our sixties now. I explained to them that we are joining the green movement and we would save water. Our grown children are not able to help us either.
    The problem that we are having is trying to figure out how to do the plumbing to the new unit. The drain is in the middle of the base unit where our old tub unit had a left side drain. In addition we want to install a single water control handle (hot, cold and off) and have it at a higher level than the existing water faucet and handles. Help! We are first time older individules but not too swift on the plumbing thing. We just can't afford to hire a plumber and we will need to do this ourselves. Any advice, instructions or videos would be helpful.

Thank you so much from the souther part of our great country.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Do you have raised foundation or are you on concrete slab ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 18, 2008, 07:11 AM
    The problem that we are having is trying to figure out how to do the plumbing to the new unit. The drain is in the middle of the base unit where our old tub unit had a left side drain.
    The tub trap and trap raiser will have to be moved over to accept the new shower drain. If you're on cement it will have to come op and the trap configured. If on a second floor or a crawl space the job just got easier.
    You will have to cut in a opening in the shower walls for the shower valve and the shower head. The average height of the shower valve will be 48" off theshower floor and the shower head can mount at 76 to 79 inches off the shower floor.
    We can walk tou through the installation if you wish but we're going to need more details, such as, the material of your pipes. The level of your plumbing skills,etc. Regards, Tom PS.
    We purchased a Sterling two seat shower unit with three walls that attach to the shower base. Our grown children were shocked that we bought a two seat shower unit. We are in our sixties now.
    This brought a smile to my face. At 81 yearsof age and still sexually active I wouldn't mind on of those showers for us. Sounds "cozy" to me! Keep on truckin and never mind what the kids think. Do your own thing! Cheers!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Had you told use earlier I would have directed you to Swanstones 3260R shower pan designed to replace a tub, the drain is at one end. I'm in my 60s but still stand in the shower so the 2 seater wouldn't help me much. Listen to Tom and Milo and try to respond to all questions, they get you hrough the remodel quite well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing A/C unit or upgrade to R410A-using unit? [ 3 Answers ]

Our A/C unit is slowly going on the fritz: struggling to provide cool air, now the 2nd time this summer. Technician came out to the house and suggested we remove the current unit, which uses R-22, and replace it with one that uses R410-A since the R-22 is getting forced out anyway. Now my...

How to replace a Disabled Shower unit with a Bath [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all Would some one please guide me into replacing a disabled shower unit with a bath Basically we moved into a new house in the last year and have now decided to do the bathroom up as our baby boy is now 9 months and has outgrown his baby tub. However the main bathroom was converted...

Replace fiberglass tub and shower unit with steel tub and tile [ 1 Answers ]

Advice for putting in the enaeled steel tub in place of the fiberglass tub and shower unit? Also, from those with experience on getting the fiberglass unit out-Sawsall, etc. Steps you used and where to start sawing first? Thank you, one and all. GJ

Replace furnace and ac unit both? [ 1 Answers ]

The repair person was here to look at my AC unit. It needs an a- coil and the since the unit is 8 years old he suggestion I might want to think of a getting new unit. If I do decide to get a new unit, do you think I need to also replace the gas furnace. Thanks for any guidance.

I need to replace a capacitor on my unit [ 7 Answers ]

I had some one work on you unit and he cut a blue wire that I know is to the heating part. I have a new capacitor but I don't know where to put the wires I have an orange, red and yellow wire and I need to know where they go. Herm, c. and fan. Please help

View more questions Search