Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 19, 2012, 02:44 PM
    THHN THNN wire designation
    Is the THHN and THNN designation equivalent, or is there even a THNN designation?

Due to convience I ordered wire over the internet- THHN. The lable indicates THHN but the wire marking indicates it is THNN. It also has the usual THWN-2 marking. I can't find the THNN designation in NEC table C.1. The wire is Southwire produced on 4/8/11, the Southwire site makes no reference to THNN, and a web search reveals nothing. Any ideas?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
    There is no THNN. If it says this it is a typo of sorts.
    Most all newer THHN wire is dual rated THWN, so what you have it normal.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Stan,
    I figured a typo error since all of the other specs (MTW, gas/oil resistant, etc) check out, but wasn't totally sure if I was missing something. Maybe that's why the wire was reasonalby priced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is THHN and THWN wire rated for cable tray use? If not what wire should be used? [ 6 Answers ]

Is THHN and THWN wire rated for cable tray use? If not what wire should be used in cable tray in utility chase for apartment building?

Thhn wire [ 5 Answers ]

Can thhn stranded wire be connected to circuit breakers in a electrical panel. What are the pro and cons (if there are any)? Thanks

Thhn/Thwn Wire [ 3 Answers ]

What's the difference in THHN/THWN besides the W for wet locations. Are these one in the same wire? I see it advertised as such. Sometimes with and with out the THWN part. Just really curious about this M

Free wire THHN [ 2 Answers ]

I have been looking in the NEC and can't seem to find the code which states whether THHN can be free wired for low voltage wiring? Anyone Know?

Running THHN wire above 8 feet. [ 3 Answers ]

I am wiring a barn/shop area and have run all wiring in EMT conduit except above 8 feet where I have run some ROMEX to lights. My question is: I need one extra wire for a 3-way switch traveler wire. Can I staple this along side of the ROMEX wire above 8' in the hi bay area, or does it have to be in...

View more questions Search