Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heidemarie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2012, 06:23 PM
    Joint in main sewer stack is cracked, pvc pipe
    In basement where all drains connect to the main drain to sewer the connection joint is cracked where one of the drains from a toilet enters th stack
    What has to be done to repair this, thank you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
    You are certain your drain line is PVC, its white, right? Cracks in older PVC can mean movement. We should also explore the cause of the crack as we look at the fix. Are there pipe hangers or supports on the lines coming to the main? Is it cracked in the collar of the 4" wye of the main or elsewhere?

May 12, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You are certain your drain line is PVC, its white, right? Cracks in older PVC can mean movement. we should also explore the cause of the crack as we look at the fix. Are there pipe hangers or supports on the lines coming to the main? Is it cracked in the collar of the 4" wye of the main or elsewhere?
    House is 17 years old, yes it is PVC, as far as I know there are no hangers, crack is in the collar of the 4", I will be happy to answer all, please ask I you need to know, I am widowed, close to 80 and have to sell my house, my husband always took care of these problems. In the basement are ceiling tiles, I have to remove them first to find out more. Thank you

You are certain your drain line is PVC, its white, right? Cracks in older PVC can mean movement. we should also explore the cause of the crack as we look at the fix. Are there pipe hangers or supports on the lines coming to the main? Is it cracked in the collar of the 4" wye of the main or elsewhere?
    The collar it self is cracked, does that mean all pipes connecting to the main have to be cut and a new joint has to be placed, 2 toilets , 1 shower and at least one sink connect in the same place. BTW this site will not let me click on helpful
    Or enter a tip. Maybe because I am new, I have to come back another time for this.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
    No patching of this pipe should be done. When you sell you must disclose all known flaws. I see 2 choices for you. 1.) Sell the house "as is" and let the buyer's home inspector catch the problem. This would likely cause a slightly lower price. 2.) Call a plumber and have him do the job. My wild guess would be about $250. The buyer might lower his offer by more than that amount. Me, I'd get 3 bids and get it fixed now if I were you. Hope this helps but no patching plesae

It should only be one collar that the plumber would need to replace. They can cut out and splice in a new one. Like I said, get 3 bids to see if they would all have the same fix.

May 12, 2012, 07:43 PM
    It should only be one collar that the plumber would need to replace. They can cut out and splice in a new one. Like I said, get 3 bids to see if they would all have the same fix.
    Thank you. I am so frustrated "not authorized" message when I want to click helpful and Paypal says that you can not receive payment. At this time.Grrr. I promise that I will try another day. You have been so very helpful, I had been told by a retired plumber that everything would have to be ripped out. You saved my sanity.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
    Heidemarie I gave Mr. B a greenie for you. Good luck with the repairs

May 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Heidemarie I gave Mr. B a greenie for you. Good luck with the repairs
    Thank you for your help, this site is restoring my faith in helpful people again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracked sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I am a new inexperienced home owner with a cracked sewer pipe. It is cracked in the basement where it connects to the one that leads into the ground outside. How does one fix this?

Pushing a PVC pipe into a cracked cast iron pipe? [ 2 Answers ]

We have an older house with plastered walls. Our vertical sewer pipe is cast iron and badly cracked. We will have to open the wall in the bathroom where the pipes run to replace the vent pipe. Is it possible to push pvc pipe into the old cast iron pipe from above? We are trying to avoid opening...

Should I use cemented PVC or PVC sections for main sewer line? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm replacing the main sewer line for my 1850's house located in Quebec, hence cold winters and the risk of shifting due to freeze thaw cycles. The line was previously replaced, and is now a series of three feet long 6 inch concrete sections connected together. I was planning on installing PVC...

Cracked pvc pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I have a crack on the bottom of my pvc pipe that comes out of the bottom of my tub.To replace it it looks like I would have to raise my tub because there is a beam close to it and I can't turn it where it is.I was wondering if there is any kind of compound I could use to seal the crack or should I...

Leak @ PVC Joint just above main sewer line. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a leak at a PVC joint in the branch drain line coming from my kitchen sink that runs directly into the sewer line. I’ll try to explain the location of the leak. The sewer line runs with a slight slope along the top of my basement. At the approx. location of my kitchen sink (floor...

View more questions Search