Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duchessssoho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 02:26 PM
    Pushing a PVC pipe into a cracked cast iron pipe?
    We have an older house with plastered walls. Our vertical sewer pipe is cast iron and badly cracked. We will have to open the wall in the bathroom where the pipes run to replace the vent pipe. Is it possible to push pvc pipe into the old cast iron pipe from above? We are trying to avoid opening the wall in the room below. The cracked pipe is 4 inch cast iron pipe.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 9, 2010, 03:31 PM
    Possible maybe, but wrong and not to code. Buy a Fernco connector and open the wall just enough to install it and tighten the clamps, maybe about 6" sq.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 9, 2010, 04:11 PM

Duchessssoho, you can use a fernco clamp as presented by joypulv, BUT you must make sure that the fernco clamp is a PVC x cast iron SHIELDED CLAMP (see image) to handle the compressive load placed on it from the vertical piping. The all rubber/neoprene fernco with 2 SS clamps are not for this job... ;)

How are you planning to cut out the 4" cast iron pipe? You are planning on supporting your piping from below... right? Cutting into a vertical cast iron stack can be very dangerous work so please post back and discuss this with us in more detail, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If one cast iron pipe is cracked/rotten are all the other pipes in my house the same? [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink drain pipe is cracked and rotten. My plumber wants to run it down the hall to the main line. My house is old and since the drain pipe is cast iron we are assuming all the pipes in the house are. What are the chances we run the pipe down the hall just to find out the main line is...

Connecting pvc pipe to cast iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

How can 3" PVC pipe be connected to 3" no hub cast iron pipe?

Replace sch 40 pvc to cast iron saddle 4 in pvc pipe broke [ 4 Answers ]

Replace sch 40 pvc into cast iron saddle with lead pvc pipe broke off even with lead packing what is the easiest way to remove pvc and lead to replace it

Replace Cracked Cast Iron Waste Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

A few months ago, water started seeping through my downstairs bathroom wall whenever the upstairs shower was being used. After cutting into my bathroom wall, we found that the cast iron waste pipe was installed inside the wall and had a 6 inch vertical crack in it. The crack is on a 5 foot piece of...

I cracked my cast iron pipe. [ 5 Answers ]

Well, I've gone an' done it now... I'm tapping into a 4" CI waste pipe that runs outside my house parallel to the foundation, trying to add a Combo-Wye to a new stack inside the house. I want to use all cast-iron for the underground/through-foundation section because i feel it's stronger,...

View more questions Search