Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
    Falling asleep in school for the first time?
    My daughter Ayla is 8, she is in 2nd grade. She loves school, and hates missing it for any reason.

But today for the first time, she and her teacher told me that she fell asleep 3 times today during school.

So it has me worried. She slept fine last night, went to bed on time (8) woke up same as always at 6, took a shower, got off to school. She seemed fine.

So now I'm wondering why. Should I be concerned about this? Or just let it go for today and worry about it if she continues to do it?

Today is the first day back after a week of spring break, but that's the only change I can think of, everything is still the same.

Thank you!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Did she eat a good breakfast, a healthy lunch?

Sometimes it's hard to get back into the swing of things after a week long break. Are you sure she didn't have a restless sleep last night? Just because she went to bed at 8 doesn't mean she slept peacefully throughout the night.

I don't think there's anything to worry about. Make sure she gets to bed at a decent hour tonight, make sure she has a hardy breakfast tomorrow, and a healthy lunch, and she should get back into her normal schedule soon.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
    May be nothing, perhaps she did not sleep well last night, but she may be coming down with the flu, or it may be a dozen other things, Need to keep track of it and see if a doctor if it continues.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Hi jennie,

I wouldn't be too concerned if everything else seems on track with her. She may need to catch up a bit after spring break and get back into the school routine. While she may have gone to bed at 8, and gotten up at 6, her sleep may not have always been restful, so that could be a contributing factor.

I've had a couple of children fall asleep now and then in class. Sometimes they were awake later than a parent realized, sometimes they were fighting an illness, sometimes their sleep cycle was off for various reasons.

A one time occurrence wouldn't worry me. If she were to start showing a pattern of this, then it would be wise to have her see the doctor.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2012, 03:58 PM
    thanks guys.
    yeah she had a nice big egg breakfast, random special occasion of going back to school :P

ill keep an eye on her. Thank you guys. Ill let you know if it happens again tomorrow

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Falling asleep in class [ 10 Answers ]

This is a little embarasing... butin most lesson I fall asleep. I don't know why, I sleep early and wake up at the right time I also eat my breakfast before I go to schooland drink lots of water (talking about 1 litre per lesson) but I still fall asleep in lessons can you please help me?

I have trouble falling asleep. Is there anything wrong with me? [ 0 Answers ]

I really don't know what's wrong. I go to bed around 10:00 and don't fall asleep until 12:00 or later. I will lay in bed for hours just closing my eyes and waiting to fall asleep, though some nights it won't take as long. I don't keep any lights or music on and I don't do anything crazy before bed....

Limbs falling asleep [ 1 Answers ]

Over the last year or so my arms and legs have been 'falling asleep' a lot easier and faster. Also 2 years ago I was injured during rugby (I believe I cracked/damaged cartiledge in my chest wall) and my chest got inflamed from the inside and ever since then I have been having a hard time trying to...

I have trouble falling asleep [ 14 Answers ]

I've been having trouble falling asleep, it's been happening for a while now. Every time I go to sleep, it takes me about an hour later to actually be asleep. I can't fall asleep like normal people, but that's a long time. Let say I go to bed at 9 p.m. I won't go to sleep until around 9:30, 10....

View more questions Search