Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DogEatDog101 Posts: 18, Reputation: -1

Mar 2, 2012, 08:46 PM
    I'm a slow dish washer...
    Well I've had this job for the last month and all I have to say is, I've tried my best but I'm a slow worker. I have not been web fired (yet) but it seems no matter how hard I try or how many times I change my routine, I am slow.

Today I ended up breaking a glass and dropping 10 other things in my panic as I've been told twice every day to "hustle" "you're slow" "quicken up" and I try. The dishes get cleaned, they're stacked neatly and put away. I basically run but try not to fall. Waiting for my machine counterpart is most painful as I can't get on when I have dishes being cleaned and a small tiny cart to put clean dishes on.

I was very fast at my last job as a dishwasher. I suck at closing up though. I've had 3 jobs where I've been told I'm slow. All are famous fast-paced environments. The worst was the hotel, as I got 15 checkouts per day and 8 stayovers that bosses wanted an unrealistic 20 minute cleaning job. I got points deducted for dust on the chair legs...

Well, at my current job it's daily "you're slow." The boss's son is the worst. He'll openly insult me about it. I'm really worried as I try my best. I have an anxiety disorder and mathematics learning disorder so even organizing things takes me great thought but once I have a routine, I'm great.

The trainee today was even worse than me but she gets more hours. She literally stood around for 15 minutes at a time flirting or not asking to do anything, just stood in the way. I actually told her what she could do.

I get in trouble for finishing 2 minutes before my punch out, even 10 minutes before. I've been berated. Is it just me or are they too punctual? Today I finished 10 minutes after my shift was to end as a lot went wrong. They even tried to kick me out the door before my shift ended, so today I finished and left 2 things that were cleaned to be put away tomorrow since I was so stressed. I'm only working 3 hour shifts anyway. I didn't want to be in the way again but it backfired so I had to come back and put it away and was told not to finish like that when they've told me before to leave 2 things.

I'm so going to be fired but what job should I try and get? I'm medium speed I'd say, but everything's done the way they want it. Out of all the things I see other people skipping, why do I get into trouble?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2012, 08:50 PM
    Don't tell other employees what to do, don't compare what others do, You do your job the right way and worry about you. They will be working and you will be fired.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 2, 2012, 09:38 PM
    If you've been told time and time again at numerous different jobs that you're too slow, then maybe you should re-think this career choice. Maybe dish washing isn't for you.

Try to find something that's slower paced, since you are slower paced (which you stated).

Jobs that demand high efficiency and speed require employees that are highly efficient and speedy. You don't seem to fit that mold. You obviously can't conform to their standards, or the standards of other employers in the same field. Looking for something more relaxed and easy going, where speed isn't an issue, would be something you're better suited for.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2012, 07:23 AM
    All jobs these days are about hustle. Places like MacDonalds might be low paying for people starting, but they are really fast paced and hard. Even setting tables or cleaning up in a restaurant is going to be hustle. The only job I can think of that's a nice pace is mail cart in a big company, where you walk down the halls with a cart full of mail, stopping at each office, but those jobs are hard to get. One job few people want is cleaning bathrooms or cleaning up after pets in a kennel. A good temp job though is stuffing/labeling/stamping envelopes for a large mailing. Try a temp agency.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Agree the issue is that to keep most jobs you will have to do a certain amount of work per hour, many jobs ( fast food, stocking shelves, kitchen work) and others. Perhaps finding some work of your own, raking leaves, mowing grass and others where you are paid for the job and take twice as long, you don't make as much money, but people will not care if you are paid by the job.

Mar 8, 2012, 09:23 AM
    Yeah I agree but in those last jobs I had, I quit due to the stress of it all. I was about to get a raise but couldn't be bothered as they were going Into off season. Cost me 320 dollars to go to work lol, 2 hour trip but at this job because I have worked in restaurants before, they have the worst machine and tiniest table so you're constantly moving stuff before each cycle and after. It's hard not to feel picked on when everyone else is talking on their phones or flirting instead of doing their tasks which intern affect mine. Maybe I'll try and get an office job. I'm not like a slug. The other employees think I'm fast. It's just the bosses... but I don't cheat and ruin equipment like my coworkers do, so it slows me down -.-
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Comparing yourself to other people is always a mistake. It sounds like you're making excuses for yourself - you know, you're slow but they steal.

I think you do the best job you can in the time allotted for that job.

Maybe the choice of career is good BUT the location (that particular restaurant) is bad.

Do you have a Supervisor who will talk to you, try to see where the problem is?

Mar 8, 2012, 03:09 PM
    Yeah I've tried talking to them about the small cart because if I'm moving a small pile of dishes before my next load and after in an old fashion machine it takes up time I told them I'm trying my very best I usually finish on time I'm in early. But I have to keep moving equipment or changing water while waiting for the wash lol toucan barely turn around in this place my coworkers are the only ones who think I'm fast I've tried all their techniques
    But your right I shouldn't let their inefficiency bug me but unfortunalty it does but I'll work on it if they kept everything in order the way I do it I'm out the door earlier I dot think they even have a washer on duty entailio get there an hour near closing
    foodle4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
    I also work in the restaurant industry, and I worked my way up the ladder from cashier (minimum wage) to general manager. I've worked every job in my store at some point or another, including dish/bus, line cook, shift supervisor, etc. Some I've been great at, and others I've kind of sucked at, but I'm competent in each one today. I'm a big believer in looking around you at the people who are better than you are at something, whether they're your bosses or your co-workers, and figuring out what they're doing that you aren't. The best way to do this is to be honest and straightforward - pull someone aside and tell them that you really want to improve and that you admire the way they do their job and are wondering if they can give you some tips on how to do better. If you approach it like this, anyone will be flattered and want to help you, and you might pick up on something that you missed before. Make it clear to your bosses that you know you're sub-par, but that you really want to improve and see if they can give you an "action plan."

I would never fire an employee who expressed this kind of attitude to me - even if they had the worst performance ever. I can teach people how to do dishes, or how to cook, or how to take orders, but I can't make someone genuinely WANT to learn and improve. When someone can bring that to the table, I'll spend all the time they need coaching and developing them until they rock at their job and can move up. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dish Washer vent [ 2 Answers ]

I just removed my dish washer vent to clean and forgot which way the vent is supposed to point. Is it to the rear facing away from sink or to the front facing the sink? Thanks!

Dish washer not draining [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Our Kenmore Ultra wash quietguard1 is not draining. I have tried going through the whole cycle one click at a time to see where the drain syscle is with no luck. I checked around the bottom but cannot tell if there is some kind of blockage. Any help out there. Please. Thanks, Sandi

Kenmore dish washer doesn't drain [ 3 Answers ]

We have an old Kenmore dishwasher that was here when we purchased our home 8 years ago(no telling how long it had been here before then). The water dosen't drain out anymore. I have disconnected the hose on both sides... there seems to be no clogs... I feel the pump is no good... I would like...

View more questions Search