Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davenmoni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Two 120 amp tankless hot water units in single 200 amp home
    My home has two water lines and therefore two hot water tanks. I just replaced one with the ECO27 unit and can barely make the space for the three 40 amp double pole breakers needed. I am trying to think ahead as I will likely want to replace our main tank as well. Our house is 100% electric with separate radiant systems in each room. My 200 amp main panel has a couple circuits which could be moved into my basement panel. I currently have a 100 amp sub panel in the basement and another one on the second floor. The second unit would be near the basement sub panel. How should I run the next 3 40 amp double pole breakers to the second unit and do I run the risk of my entire house shutting down?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2012, 07:35 AM
    A 200 amp service cannot handle the added load of a tankless water heater.
    davenmoni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
    I believe you as you have great knowledge, but why do the instructions say 200 amp service is required and what options do I have?
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2012, 05:51 AM
    I believe the water heater needs a 200 amp service alone, not including the existing load.

Have an electrician do a service rating calculation to confirm.

You may need to go to a 400 amp service.
    sinnadurai Posts: 127, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2012, 10:23 PM
    Do a load calculation in a MS exel work sheet with load(amp)in Y-axis and time(clock) in X-axis. Calculate the maximum load by adding loads in vertical column,which gives the main breaker size. If it exceed 200Amps contact the utility.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2012, 07:09 AM
    Assuming the question is regarding a home in the USA or Canada, service rating calculations is not done in the fashion:

Quote Originally Posted by sinnadurai View Post
    Do a load calculation in a MS exel work sheet with load(amp)in Y-axis and time(clock) in X-axis. Calculate the maximum load by adding loads in vertical column,which gives the main breaker size. If it exceed 200Amps contact the utility.
    There are derating factors used by the National Electric Code and the Canadian Electric Code that will arrive at a service rating less than the total sum of actual loads.

Davenmoni, the original poster, needs to have a local electrician do a service rating calculation to confirm the size service needed.
    sinnadurai Posts: 127, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2012, 10:35 PM
    tkrussell,When I mentioned load it include factors like diversity/simultaneous/derating etc. Anyone in electrical engineering field should know it.
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2012, 03:34 AM
    That may be, but the poster is a homeowner, not an engineer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I downgrade a 200 amp service with a 200 amp main by adding a 100 amp breaker to [ 1 Answers ]

Can I downgrade a 200 amp service to a 100 amp service by adding a 100 amp breaker to the panel

Adding 120 amp tankless to 200 amp panel [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp panel for an apartment with separate service from the rest of the house. I want to add an electric tankless water heater. Here's the one I'm looking at buying: Stiebel Eltron Electric Tankless Water Heater - 28/21.6 kw - 120 Amp - 240 Volt - Tempra 29 Plus Just to give you...

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service single lug meter [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp meter with single load side lugs. Presently my house is tied to these lugs. I'm building a remote garage which will require a 100amp feed. Tieing the house to the garage is not doable due to the location of the driveway. I would like to have the existing 200 amp meter feed...

600 amp service with a 200 amp single pole breaker [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 600 amp GE service closet in my basement that feeds 7 other socket meters and each have there own breaker. Question is I just added a brands new 200 amp panel and new line service to a area I just converted to storefront space for a deli. So I can't find a 200 amp breaker for that closet...

100 amp or 200 amp service in new home? [ 17 Answers ]

We are having a home built and are anticipating having the following right now: 1250 square feet of living space C/A Fridge Separate freezer Washer/dryer Over/range Microwave Electric tankless hot water heater

View more questions Search