Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallguy Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
    Finished basement wall framing and insulation - Reflectix?
    We are beginning to renovate our basement. It was finished by the previous owner probably about 20-25 years ago. I removed the wood paneling and was delighted to find that the walls were fully framed using 2x3 studs.

Between the studs and the foundation wall is a layer of heavy, metallic paper which I assume is Relfectix. I assume this was used as insulation. (I will try to add an image, but don't see the button to do so right now.)

We have never spent much time down there, only going down to do laundry, but it feels comfortable. I keep the t-stat set at 60 degrees, though it will be higher when we start utilizing the room as living space. We are in eastern Massachusetts, so it can be quite cold in winter. House was built in 1950. We use a dehumidifier to keep the basement dry in summer, though it doesn't get too damp.

I've also noticed that the studs are spaced 1⅛" away from the wall. Is this gap required for the Reflectix to work properly?

We're planning to put drywall on the studs. Should we put in additional insulation? The Reflectix seemed to be sufficient for the previous owner.

Thanks!
    tallguy Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
    Here's the image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76565901@N07/6871360291/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add insulation to a exterior wall and then tile the wall [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom and the exterior walls are 2x4's and I would like to add some insulation before I close the wall back up. The wall will be tiled 1/2 way up. So I was going to adhere 1" R6.5 insulation to the studs and then fasten cement board through the insulation into the studs. Is...

How do I run speaker wires in-wall in finished basement? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and at the point where I need to get the speaker wiring in. I'm confused about if I need to make home runs with all the wires or just connect them all in parallel. I'll have a TV and receiver in one room and in the other room I'll have the stereo receiver. I'd like to play...

Framing basement wall [ 6 Answers ]

How do I secure wood framing to a concrete wall or floor?

Basement toilet way too far from finished wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I had our house built 5 years ago roughed in for 1/2 bath in the basement. Now that I'm finishing the basement, I've run into a problem. All the walls are framed, drywall is up and bath is ready for toilet installation. Much to my chagrin, I realized now that the center of the soil stack is 20"...

View more questions Search