Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Jun 25, 2008, 08:44 PM
    How do I run speaker wires in-wall in finished basement?
    I'm finishing my basement and at the point where I need to get the speaker wiring in. I'm confused about if I need to make home runs with all the wires or just connect them all in parallel. I'll have a TV and receiver in one room and in the other room I'll have the stereo receiver. I'd like to play the stereo in the pool table area of main room.
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Something is fishy.

Tell me a little about your stereo. Conventional? Line to voice coil outputs?
    Power nominal like 100 W into 8 ohms
    X watts into 2 ohms.

Stereo speakers? How many pairs?
    Quality that you expect?
    Do you expect to be able to set the volume at each location/room?

Did you purchase the speakers yet? Specs?
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Jun 26, 2008, 04:52 AM
    K.I.S.S. I don't have any of the stereo equipment yet. I won't be getting a high end unit though. In the photo, the blue dashed line is where I hoped to have speakers to play music from the stereo in the room in the right. The red dashed line is where I kind of thought I'd have speakers to hear the TV sound. There are 2 speakers I was hoping to be able to use from either side if possible. I was thinking of using the small on-wall mount speakers in the left room except for the ones that will be on the left and right of the TV stand which will not need to be prewired in the walls. Hope this helps.
    Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2008, 09:20 PM
    I need to get back to you. First, in the traditional sense, you have to keep the impedance (Z) of the speaker the same when switching them in and out or you can wire them in series an parallel to keep Z within the amp range. L-pads were used to change the volume at the speaker level. There are speaker switchers which will allow so many pairs of speakers. This suggests the home run approach.

Stores use what's called a 70 V line. On each speaker there is a transformer and a tap that selects the relative volume.

What I would like you to do is research some whole house audio systems. Here are a few places to start. Website Index - HomeTech Solutions and Smarthome - Home Automation, X10, Remote Control, Lighting, Wireless Security.
    For all I know, they could be using local amplifiers and controlling them with CAT 5 cable and putting the sound over CAT 5. ANything is possible.

Come back with questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I add vents in my finished basement? [ 7 Answers ]

I have finished the framing and I need to run some lines from the trunk lines into the newly added rooms in my basement. I built soffits around the main/trunk lines and I'm wondering if I should have done the HVAC ducts first. I thought I'd run a rectangular duct through the soffit and just put the...

Drywall tape on finished wall keeps popping up [ 4 Answers ]

I've been remodeling, painting, etc. The house is 8 yrs. Old with textured walls. It's mostly on corners but in several places the drywall tape is popping up along edges here and there. I took care of it with spackle and painted etc. In some places it has started coming up again. Is my...

Heating a finished basement [ 2 Answers ]

I have a finished basement, furnished and live in the Midwest. I do not use the are very rarely in the winter. I would like to know how much it would decrease my heating bill. I could close it off with a temporary closure. I have all the heat ducts closed. Is it worth the effort to close it...

Basement toilet way too far from finished wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I had our house built 5 years ago roughed in for 1/2 bath in the basement. Now that I'm finishing the basement, I've run into a problem. All the walls are framed, drywall is up and bath is ready for toilet installation. Much to my chagrin, I realized now that the center of the soil stack is 20"...

Plumbing in a finished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently finishing the basement in my home built about 2 years ago. The people that did the plumbing and heating didn’t want to spend the time to keep all of the plumbing and ductwork up in the joists so I’m having to move a bunch of it. I actually have 2 questions: 1. I have an A/C...

View more questions Search