Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lcol7777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 08:17 PM
    401 k taxes and penalties
    I was forced to take an early retirement package. I was 53 yrs old I need to cash in my 401k because I need to clear up some bills, repair my auto and I wanted to make some home improvements. I had to pay 20% penalty on 35K (7,000) for cashing 401k early... now while doing my takes I see I must pay another 10% penalty 3,500. Can I claim either of these on my income tax... where?::(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Apparentally no one explained to you what this was all about. The 20% was not a penalty, its was a withheld amount towards your tax liability. Just like the amount withheld from your paycheck. The 10% is the penalty for taking an early withdrawal from your 401K.

You should have gotten a 1099R statement that the taxable value of your distribution was $35K and that $7K was withheld for taxes. So the $35K is added to your taxable income for the year and used to figure out the taxes due. The $7K is applied towards that amount along with what was withheld from your paycheck (reported on your W2).

The 10% penalty is not taxdeductible since it's a penalty.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Yes taking money out of the 401 K is a very expensive way to get money, and should only be used as a last resort. You lose the interest you would get, have to pay taxes on the money as income and then pay a penalty, it is often cheaper to just go borrow the money short term instead if possible.

And unless this is for health issues, perhaps another job to earn income to pay the bills
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 11:51 PM
    Fr Chuck and Scott covered all the hideously bad details.

I see no reason to pile on!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

QDRO and penalties [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wants a divorce. He will need to QDRO part of his 401K to me to buy me out of our house. I will need that money to get my own place. Who has to pay the early withdrawal penalties; him or me? He says there is no penalty involved for either side. Is this true? Barbara

Different Death Penalties [ 6 Answers ]

How many different Death Penalties are there?

Taxes On 401 K [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true. That in the state of Oregon. You can Do a Hardship withdrawal on 401k and pay taxes on the amount you receive at the end of the tax year. Or is it mandated that you pay all taxes up front prior to withdrawal.

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I just lost my job after 32 years... what is the best way to handle my 401k without losing everything to taxes/penalties... I will need to withdraw some money to pay off some debt... answer needed asap thanks

Penalties and interests [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyway to know from IRS directly how much money you own in interests and penalties for overdue taxes right away without waiting to get a bill in the mail ? I know that there are software that will allow you to calculate estimated penalities and interests but I am talking to know the...

View more questions Search