Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Barbara8182 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 02:05 PM
    QDRO and penalties
    My husband wants a divorce. He will need to QDRO part of his 401K to me to buy me out of our house. I will need that money to get my own place. Who has to pay the early withdrawal penalties; him or me? He says there is no penalty involved for either side. Is this true?

Barbara
    sevens_angel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Going through this myself, as long as there is a QDRO which is a judgement from the courts there is no penalty as long as the funds are being put into another retirement vehicle. If he is taking it out as a hardship loan there is no penalty either but he will have to pay it back with interest. If you are entitled to 1/2 of his retirement you need to put your half into a retirement vehicle to not have pentalties as well. If either of you take a cash out option there is a 10% penalty plus taxes
    jude507 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Don't sign ANYTHING without an attorney! Make him get a loanof his own to buy you out! That is part of YOUR retirement, too--do not GIVE it to him to pay you--that is like you paying yourself!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Early Withdrawal Penalties? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about early withdrawal of my 401k due to changing employers. I am fully vested at my current company. I took a loan out from my 401k probably 6-8 months ago for personal reasons (not mortgage, etc.). Here are the details for that: I took out a loan of $2,868.01 and...

Abatement - late filed - interest and penalties [ 1 Answers ]

I have a client; fellow in his late 50’s, sells real estate, fairly high income earner, Canadian, lived in Canada until 2001 then in March 2001 moved to Las Vegas to work for a real estate developer. Has subsequently bounced back & forth between the US and Canada and is currently working in...

Penalties and interests [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyway to know from IRS directly how much money you own in interests and penalties for overdue taxes right away without waiting to get a bill in the mail ? I know that there are software that will allow you to calculate estimated penalities and interests but I am talking to know the...

View more questions Search