Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbadge5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Why does my wall make a noise as if something's falling when I pound a nail in?
    The house I'm renting seems pretty old, In a couple of the walls where I've put nails in, while hammering they made this sound like something metal, small, is falling down from behind the wall... really weird, just wondering is anyone knows what this is?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2011, 08:06 AM
    You note that the house is "old". Most likely has plaster walls that are kept in place by mortar keys that overlap the lath. When you hammer a nail in, you are breaking the keys off and they fall down the wall. Not a good idea to hammer too much into plaster since it cracks and can separate fron the wall. Best idea is to drill a small pilot hole so the nail can be pushed in or just lightly tapped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I broke my fake nail and riped my real nail of and now its infected what do I do now [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my older brother were play fighting and he ripped my fake nail of , its now bleeding but the nail is still attached... now it is infected what do I do ? Help me it really hurts by the way I'm 13 :(

My shower heads make a high pitch noise how can I make it stop? [ 1 Answers ]

After the water runs for a minute, the shower heads start to make a high pitch noise.

Grunting Noise in the Wall! [ 1 Answers ]

And wouldn't you know -- around Halloween time! This is a kind of croaking, grunting, or grumbling sound coming from from a fairly specific place in the wall of an upstairs room in an older two-story wood frame house. I've pretty much eliminated wind, passing traffic, and other external...

Noise in wall [ 1 Answers ]

I've read the other questions on noises in wall but those were cominf from a bathroom this noise is in my children's bedroom wall and is like a vibrating noise it goes for 2 seconds stops goes for 3 sec stops over and over again had an electrician come out couldn't find anything its driving me...

Basement Wall/Foundation falling [ 2 Answers ]

Help! We have a water problem in our basement, 2 sump pumps, one flood already. Just bought this house in 8/06 - took apart the drywall today in one corner of the basement, to get access to a walled-up stairway access to the outside. It is apparent that the former owners, who admittedly...

View more questions Search