Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larry-54 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Grunting Noise in the Wall!
    And wouldn't you know -- around Halloween time!

This is a kind of croaking, grunting, or grumbling sound coming from from a fairly specific place in the wall of an upstairs room in an older two-story wood frame house.

I've pretty much eliminated wind, passing traffic, and other external sources. It's intermittent, not regular timing, and often absent for several hours at a time.

I think insects would be continuous, so if it's alive, I would guess a squirrel or a mouse. We've had mice, but they usually sound like they're busy scurrying about, not hanging out and grunting.

It sounds like a metal ornament or gutter drain rubbing against the house in the wind -- however, as I've said, I'm almost certain it isn't external to the house.

d-CON pellets have worked with mice before, so I've placed them in the attic.

Any idea what would cause this type of noise? Thanks!
    Larry-54 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 07:20 PM
    From what I've discovered so far, the description fits "carpenter bees" although I've never heard of them before, and to my knowledge they're not a common pest here (in New England).

We've had carpenter ants, but those are something quite different, and they were (so far) completely eliminated by a pest control company.

Any comments would be appreciated. I plan to call the pro's tomorrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Boing noise in wall [ 2 Answers ]

We have a regular (every few seconds or so) noise that sounds like "boing" coming from what seems like inside the walls between our house and the townhouse adjacent on the second floor. The noise is audible on the first floor and basement but much less loud. It usually lasts for 20-60 minutes at a...

Grunting while peeing [ 4 Answers ]

Is it normal for men to grunt or moan loudly when they pee? What is the reason for this?

Noise in wall [ 1 Answers ]

I've read the other questions on noises in wall but those were cominf from a bathroom this noise is in my children's bedroom wall and is like a vibrating noise it goes for 2 seconds stops goes for 3 sec stops over and over again had an electrician come out couldn't find anything its driving me...

Jackhammer noise in wall [ 1 Answers ]

I have a strange noise coming from my wall behind a kitchen cupboard. It sounds like there is a small jackhammer inside the wall that goes on any time of day and night. It is a very fast low pitched jackhammer like noise that has been going on for months. It stops sometimes for a couple of days but...

Water noise behind wall [ 2 Answers ]

We have a bedroom in a walkout basement and yesterday we noticed that the water could be heard clearly rushing through the pipes behind the wall every time a specific toilet is flushed or we use the kitchen sink/dishware/disposal (there is 90 degree pipe that the water is hitting on it's way out of...

View more questions Search