Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SusanK3120 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Basement Wall/Foundation falling
    Help! We have a water problem in our basement, 2 sump pumps, one flood already. Just bought this house in 8/06 - took apart the drywall today in one corner of the basement, to get access to a walled-up stairway access to the outside.

It is apparent that the former owners, who admittedly dry-walled their own basement just prior to selling, had boarded up the stairwell for a reason: the foundation is cracked, falling in, and they had placed 2x4's etc, bracing it, then insulated and drywalled it to hide the problem.

I need to know what the next step is in starting the repair process... don't have a lot of money - unfortunately, the things found wrong in this house after we moved in will prevent us from selling it and getting anywhere close to what we purchased it for (did not do a home inspection, other than that which the bank provided... big mistake!).

Not afraid to do work ourselves... handy around the house, have gutted and restored the living room of our old home, so have some knowledge, but have never come across a situation as this...

thanks!
    Sue
    Rochester, NY
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Contact the lawyer you used at the closing. Knowingly boarding things up to hide a problem consitutes fraud and you should go after the seller with a lawyer. a foundation that is falling in is not a home owner repair project. Even some pros have ben know to mess it up so call a pro but call your lawyer first. If there was a real estate person involved in this sale call them too.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 19, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK3120
    Help! We have a water problem in our basement, 2 sump pumps, one flood already. Just bought this house in 8/06 - took apart the drywall today in one corner of the basement, to get access to a walled-up stairway access to the outside.

It is apparent that the former owners, who admittedly dry-walled their own basement just prior to selling, had boarded up the stairwell for a reason: the foundation is cracked, falling in, and they had placed 2x4's etc, bracing it, then insulated and drywalled it to hide the problem.

I need to know what the next step is in starting the repair process...don't have a lot of money - unfortunately, the things found wrong in this house after we moved in will prevent us from selling it and getting anywhere close to what we purchased it for (did not do a home inspection, other than that which the bank provided...big mistake!).

Not afraid to do work ourselves...handy around the house, have gutted and restored the living room of our old home, so have some knowledge, but have never come across a situation as this...

thanks!
    Sue
    Rochester, NY
    Sue,
    I don't know about the legality of non-disclosure in NY state but on the West coast, the sellers mindfully misrepresented themselves and are liable for their dishonesty. The statute of time limitations vary from state-to-state but one year is reasonable unless there is a horrendous earthquake! There are good RE attorneys who can update you on what is legal in your location. Good luck. Nm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement wall repair [ 1 Answers ]

I live in home that was built in the late 1800's in St. Louis. When we bought the house the Basement walls were covered with particle board and the ceiling was droped, over the Years the boards have gotten wet and are falling apart at the bottom. My wife wants me To take down the boards...

Basement toilet too close to wall [ 1 Answers ]

OK, my plumber stubbed in a toilet and everything else in our basement bathroom and I am just finishing it out. It appears like they didn't count for the drywall because the tank is too close to the wall for the toilet I bought, it's very close but I sort of got it wedged in there and bolted the...

How to repair basement wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, If I'm not in the correct category here, please direct me to the correct one. I have a split level house which has a partially submerged basement. The basement walls are approximately 4 feet deep into the ground. Every time it rains, water seeps in from 2 walls at the bottom where they...

Cutting foundation for basement door [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foundation wall that is 4' and I'd like to dig down to the floor level and then cut the wall to put in a door (create exit for basement). I will be removing 4' of dirt covering the floor/footings. Can I do this? I'd like to put stairs (concrete) on the outside of the home leading up to...

Wet basement wall... [ 2 Answers ]

See photo... House is 6 years old. Starting a few months ago, when we get a heavy rain, a water line will form on the basement wall (poured basement). It doesn't appear to be 'flowing' - just wet to the touch. Nothing on the floor. No cracks - just a water line. An hour after the rain...

View more questions Search