Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohgeeabee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2011, 06:15 PM
    Should I talk to the guy my best friend likes?
    Hello!

My friend likes (liked?) a guy named Samuel. Here's her situation:
    She's a gorgeous, sweet, caring person. Naturally, she has a lot of guys tell her they "love" her. She always seems to like them back when they show interest in her, but only two have ever actually gotten really close to her. One, Sam. The second, Michael.

She was completely infatuated with Sam a couple years ago. She seemed completely in love. Or, as in love as a teenager can be. Anyway, Sam liked her back. He e-mailed me asking to help him tweek a poem he had written for her, she was always very defensive of his long hair that I liked to tease her about. Then... she met Michael.

Michael is a couple of years older than my friend, and he told her right away that he wasn't looking for a friendship with her. She seemed to promptly forget about Sam, and now they're in a pretty serious relationship. At least, more serious than the one with Sam. I don't know all the details of what's going on between her and Sam, but she never talks about him anymore. From what I know she hardly talks TO him anymore either.

Now, my situation. Rewind to when my friend was devoted to Sam. According to her, me and Sam are completely alike. We dislike the same foods, like the same foods, like the same bands, we're both painfully shy, etc. I always acted like that bothered me, but really, I was kind of pleased. Honestly, I sort of liked Sam too. Of course, she liked him, so I never said anything or let my feelings grow any.

Unfortunately, during that time, I was obnoxiously sarcastic and condescending to Sam. I was in a phase where being that way was cool to me. (How I managed to keep my friends, I'll never know! :P) Me and Sam talked a bit, but it was only arguing. Friendly arguing mind you, but there wasn't any real chitchat.

Fast forward to now! My friend likes Michael, I haven't hardly talked to Sam, neither has she. Sam's e-mail account was recently hacked, and it sent an e-mail to all of his contacts asking them to click on this super special link. Me, being a contact, got the e-mail. Finding it a PERFECT opportunity to talk to him, I replied. A couple days passed, and I forgot all about it. I thought, "Of course he won't reply! I was a jerk, why should he?" And then, he replied. So I replied, he replied, etc.

Now, to the question! Should I continue talking to Sam, even though I have a bit of a "crush" on him? I don't want to develop stronger feelings for him, because I don't know where my friend stands with him. I don't want to assume she's forgotten about him just because she has a new guy she likes. At the same time, I don't want to blow him off just because I'm scared I'll hurt my friend, and I don't want to stop the chances of what might be a relationship in the future.

Thank you for even reading this long thing!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 07:24 PM

Talk to her, why not? Your friends so being honest with each other shouldn't be a problem, and tell her, she can't hog all the guys.

Since she has one, all the rest are up to you by my way of thinking.
    DeathAngel16 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2011, 01:00 AM
    If she is chasing after a new guy that means you "sam" is open game field for you. I had the same problem well actually my friend was actually dating the guy I ended up with him. But you friend isn't dating Sam and doesn't seem to be interested so I say go for it talk to him flirt with him if you get to close and to worried then yeah ask your friend if its all right

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I do when I like a guy but he likes me and my best friend? [ 2 Answers ]

What do I do when I like a guy, and he likes me back, but he also likes my best friend? My best friend doesn't like him though. So how do I win him over?

How do I tell a guy that my best friend likes him? [ 7 Answers ]

K so my best friend likes this guy but she is way to shy to tell him she talks about him every hour of the day and its non stop, I feel so bad for her because I was talking to the guy she likes and she was watching my chat then he said that I was cute but I don't like him my friend got upset but...

I think my best guy friend likes me [ 2 Answers ]

I have been friends with my Best friend since grade 5 the first time I met her in middle school soon after I met her older brother. He is 1 year older, me and her brother Seth be came very close to. Hes my best guy friend. Me and him hug all the time and he kisses me on the cheek. Lots of people...

Friend Likes Guy. Guy hates friend! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, My best friend likes this guy right? All Well and Good? NO!! The Guy She Likes, thinks she's annoying and weird. The guy is like one of my closest friends, I could talk to him about it but my friend doesn't want me 2. She didn't want me to write this but I am because she needs advice! Any...

Will you go out with the guy that your good friend likes? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I don't know what to do so maybe you guys can help to give some sound advice. My girl friend likes this guy and she has taken initiatives to strike a conversation with this guy by like facebooking him and texted him over his mobile. But he is not exactly very enthusiastic about her...

View more questions Search