Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    datiner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2011, 08:23 AM
    QDRO distribution
    I am receiving 50% of my ex husbands 401K and I wanted to pay off my 401k loan with part of the funds then roll over the remaining into my 401K. Can I do this without being penilized for the entire QDRO funds?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2011, 10:10 AM

It sounds like you could do this and there would be no penalty from the government as you are moving funds from one 401K to another so aren't technically taking a disbursement, but you would need to talk to the particular fund administrators and find out if they have any charges or penalties. It might be beneficial to run by your tax accountant as well to make sure there's not some weird tax law that might apply.

The other thing to consider is whether you are entitled to future payouts on the 401(k) (because he's not yet retired) or if you are presently getting payouts. You may not be able to take funds out, depending on how the QDRO is drafted, until the normal distribution begins, so look into that as well with the fund administrators.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce QDRO [ 1 Answers ]

My ex husband and I have been divorced for almost a year now. In the divorce I was granted half of his 401k. He at that time withdrew the money and put it in a separate account. All of the QDRO forms have been filled with the courts and now I am having a dificult time recieveing the money. My...

QDRO and penalties [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wants a divorce. He will need to QDRO part of his 401K to me to buy me out of our house. I will need that money to get my own place. Who has to pay the early withdrawal penalties; him or me? He says there is no penalty involved for either side. Is this true? Barbara

Fair qdro [ 1 Answers ]

Divorced in 1997 and the QDRO was never qualified. Now 10 years later, my ex's attorney is trying to get this QDRO qualified. The original QDRO gave the alternate payee 1/2 of my pension benefits during our married years. Which is only fair. But since 1997, I have received significant...

View more questions Search