Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Josh123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Hunter Ceiling Fan Randomly Changing speeds.
    I have a hunter Jackson Square ceiling fan on a wall remote kit that came with the unit. It randomly powers on and off and changes speeds. I have changed the frequency on the remote and receiver multiple times and it still does this. The house was prewired for this when I purchased the house so I "guess" that all the wiring is good. I have good voltage coming through and no shorts in the wire. This fan has no pull chains and no manual reverse switch so I need a remote that is capable of reversing fan direction and have been unable to locate a replacement that can do that. Any help would be appreciated.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Normally I would expect changing frequencies to fix it. Someone else had the same problem, here was their solution:

Harbor Breeze - receiver bad?

May 12, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Normally I would expect changing frequencies to fix it. Someone else had the same problem, here was their solution:

Harbor Breeze - receiver bad?
    So I got Hunter to send me a new receiver and have gone through a few more channels and am still having the same trouble. Is there a hardwire solution out there so I don't have to use a remote unit? I pretty much don't care about reverse anymore. I also attempted the wrapping in tape solution and I even cut a few inches off the antenna. The fan is a Hunter Jackson Square model# 21403. I have the manual in pdf format if that helps at all.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 13, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Remove batteries from transmitter, Or move way out of range.
    Buttons may be sticking or intermittent. Replace transmitter if so.

May 14, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Remove batteries from transmitter, Or move way out of range.
    Buttons may be sticking or intermittent. Replace transmitter if so.
    I left both transmitters with no battery last night and it still happened.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Do you have More fans in the house like this one.
    Were all the houses nearby built about same time or same contractor.
    Do not use default settings.
    Don't use codes like, all on, all off, on off on off on off.
    I would suspect neighbors Fan Remote.

May 14, 2007, 07:54 PM
    I checked with the neighbors on both sides and both say they do not have any remote fans. I also cut my antenna down to about 1" in length thinking this might help. It still seems to get a signal from about 30' away but I am leery about cutting it any shorter. I'm going to try changing the channel a few more times but i have been through at least 10 of them already. My other fans in the house are all a different brand and on different channels. Would any type of electrical problem cause the reciever to think it needed to turn on? Surge? I've heard the term "dirty power".
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 06:31 AM
    If it happens consistently enough, Turn off different electronics, electrical devices, and electronic devices. Wireless router, IR extenders, Alarm wireless devices. Anything
    That generates a signal, does not have to be wireless device or appliance.
    What type of electronics do you have? Do you have an antenna or cable amp? If you are
    Confident in Electrical, Place that circuit on opposite phase. If on circuit that shares neutral.
    Switch places with that, to keep from overloading Neutral. There is a chance is is on the line and not on air. Good Luck, Let Me Know.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Stratmando is correct, it doesn't require another fan to create interference, any RF device will do it. You can also try wiring to a different circuit and/or phase in case there is noise that is interfering.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 15, 2007, 04:58 PM
    I had a haunted fan that turned out to be controlled by a neighbor a block away. He was using an X10 control device that send signals through the house current and anyone else on that transformer.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Never heard of that before, but it doesn't surprise me! Damn kids with their loud music and X10 devices and pants worn at or below the waist!

May 15, 2007, 06:19 PM
    LOL the X10 is a remote device that can be hooked up to control lights, fans, furnace, etc via a remote or your telephone. But I do agree about those kids.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
    I'm familiar with X10. And I probably AM one of those kids :)

May 15, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Ouch, you pulled my leg so hard it hurts.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 06:24 PM
    I was saying I hadn't heard of X10 affecting a ceiling fan, but I do know what it is. I used it on my Christmas tree one year.

May 15, 2007, 07:19 PM
    I tried using it on my furnace but too many others in our lake area used them too. I switched to something called TalkingThermostat and that did the trick. Interseted in buying my slightly used X10?

May 15, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Well thank you all for the advice. After much arguing with Hunter they are sending me a brand new fan that is exactly the same except it is a hard wired version. Now I'll be able to install my own speed control wall unit without having to deal with this problem "crosses fingers"
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 09:07 AM
    If it is X10 type(Power Line Carrier) Look at houses on same secondary side of transformer.(maybe 6 or 8 houses total) signal will be trapped by windings
    of transformer(act like a choke)on houses further away.
    X10 makes a whole house filter, to block PLC signal from getting in.
    The Wireless innercomms that are PLC. You and neighbor on same transformer con communicate if you wish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with wiring a HUNTER Ceiling Fan and Light Control [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently replacing a light switch with a ceiling fan and light control. The description of what I am replacing with is: http://www.littmanbros.com/pd_hunter_27182.cfm I currently have a ceiling fan with a light kit (and it too high off the ground to have the fan controlled by a pull...

Hunter Ceiling Fan Model 23783 [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any problem piggy backing the electrical hook-up to the fan via the Hunter "Ceiling/Fan & Light Control (27183) to an exsisting wall outlet.

Wiring issue with a Hunter Ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me. I just moved into a brand new home and the Master Bedroom is pre-wired for a ceiling fan. It has two wall switches, one to control the light and one for the fan. The Hunter fan has a black, a white, a black/white and two green wires. The prewire...

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

Hunter Ceiling Fan Light Installation [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house with a Hunter ceiling fan with remote (no light). I went to the store and purchased a light to go with it. The instructions on the light say that I have to dismantle the entire remote system by unplugging it, but I don't see where I can do this. There are 2 black boxes with wires...

View more questions Search