Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirstie71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 02:03 PM
    How much would it cost to get a hole in the shower drain pipe fixed?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2011, 02:11 PM

Going to need a LOT more info than that for ANYONE to venture a guess.

It can be a little or an aweful lot depending on a lot of things that remain unknown to everyone but you.
    kirstie71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 02:17 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    The shower is fitted. It is a small hole about half a cm, directly down from the drain in the plastic pipe. I don't know what other info to give
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2011, 03:09 PM

Is there a finished ceiling below it. Or open floor joists... is it on a cement slab?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 03:10 PM

No one can tell you how much it will cost. It all depends on what plumbers in your area charge and how long it takes. Proper repair will involve cutting the pipe at the hole and then reconnecting it with a coupling. How long that takes depends on how difficult it is to reach and whether the pipes will move apart after you cut them in order to put the coupling on.
    A temporary repair might be to put something soft, like rubber over the hole then clamp it in place with a band clamp.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 03:20 PM

HI Kirstie...

Is the pipe accessible from underneath? If the pipe is accessible from underneath then it shouldn't be a real big deal to cut it out and replace it. I won't venture a guess on cost as costs vary dramatically, but the job shouldn't take a plumber more than a couple hours to complete from start to finish (including travel time).

If the pipe isn't accessible then the job grows more difficult, for sure!

If you can see the hole why don't we see if you can do a repair on this yourself, although it will be more of a patch job than a repair, OK? Here, I would recommend that you purchase a PLASTIC EPOXY PUTTY (see images) at a home improvement store. Come home and empty the shower drain of water if the water will interfere with the patch job. Then, stuff a rag into the drain (tied onto a string) past the hole just in case you drop something in the drain. Next, take some isopropyl alcohol and a cotton ball and clean the area to be patched. After that, knead the 2-part putty until the two parts blend properly and then push the putty into the hole. Smooth the putty edges smooth to the pipe walls and let it dry per instructions on the tube. For best result repeat these steps with a second patch, again, feathering the edges tight to the inner pipe wall. Let it dry and check your work. With any luck it will last years... ;)

You may also want to try this with a silicone sealant/caulking being sure to pre-clean the pipe for best adhesion. You would do this on the inside and the outside of the pipe if the pipe is accessible.In my opinion, however, the epoxy putty plastic patch will be best result.

Questions? Let us know, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 03:21 PM

Hi Guys...

I was typing while you were all posting... *UGH*.

Your questions and ideas as always are more than reasonable!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hole in pvc drain pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I accidentally drilled a 3/16" hole through a pvc drain pipe behind a wall. I filled the hole with caulking. I want to know if this an acceptable repair.

Turn toilet a different direction, but over same hole (drain pipe) [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet faces the tub and there is barely enough room for someone to sit on it. I would like to keep the toilet in the same location but just turn it to face a different direction (towards the door) in which has a lot more room to actually sit on the toilet straight. This is a teeny tiny...

Shower drain pipe has hole [ 6 Answers ]

For the third time I have a hole in the pipe below my shower pan. Twice I've had it fixed by two different people. They both had to remove the lower tiles, the shower pan and replace. Ok, so I am done with having someone else do it wrong. I can figure out how to remove everything but the...

Shower weep hole drain turned into tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my shower to a roman tub. The existing drain is a weep hole drain. Is there a plug for these type of drains? The idea is to use the same drain system and hot mop, tile, etc. around it.

View more questions Search