Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frubaboo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 01:17 PM
    How to ask about psychologist
    I really think I need to see a psychologist about some issues I want to work through in my life including what I think might be depression. However, I'm under my dad's insurance and would need their help to find a doctor and to pay. I've always acted normal him and he doesn't suspect anything which is why I'm nervous to bring up this issue because I think I would upset him and he's just getting off a vicodin addiction and seems to be taking up drinking and smoking again. Even if I could tell my dad, I would be uncomfortable because he would then tell my step mom and I don't feel comfortable enough with her to feel OK about her knowing. How do you think I should go about this gently? Or should I just tough it out(my current plan) until I can handle this by myself?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 15, 2011, 01:40 PM

Why do you have to say you want to see someone for depression? That's a privacy issue, so why disclose the reason? If he insists on knowing why, give him an associated problem.

Why psychologist? You can get good results from a licensed counselor or social worker whose efforts your dad's insurance will cover. Plus, they're cheaper. :D
    cheftonyganza Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 02:39 PM
    You have a couple of options here:

Talking to your dad about it:
    Go to your father and tell him that lately you have been having a hard time dealing with certain things that are going on around you and you feel really strongly that you need to talk to someone who can help you through it. Be honest and vulnerable, and as long as his addictions etc are not consuming him, he will help you explore these options.

Not talking to your dad about it:
    If your father seems difficult to reach and you are having a hard time figuring out how to reach him, you will need to talk to someone else. Here are some options:
    *A trusted teacher
    *A trusted family member
    *A trusted adult family friend
    *A school counselor
    *You can call a nearby church and ask to speak to the pastor

All of the above should listen to you with an open ear and heart. They will be able to help you figure out what next step to take. A counselor at school or church can arrange consistent meetings with you to help you through whatever is bothering you and if they are unable, they should be able to help you better understand how to approach your father, or even approach him for you.

If you are feeling down and not yourself, don't ignore it. Do something about it.

There is also a supplement called st johns wort that is completely natural and may help you through it. It has worked wonders for my 10 year old son.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to see a psychologist/therapist? [ 14 Answers ]

You may think I'm a worthless human being after reading this, maybe I am. I don't like that I am this way, but it's been how I have been for the longest time. I've told a few other people about these things, but they say "boo hoo, the whole teased at school routine, get over it" I may get that...

Do I need a psychologist if I'm shy with people? [ 2 Answers ]

It's the same problem that followed me every day through my entire life that people hates me. Since I was in 1st grade, girls makes fun of me and hurts me every single day with hurtful remarks and I just couldn't stand to cry everyday and locked myself into my room, I even went to three different...

How can I make my sister see a Psychologist? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am new and hopefully somebody can show some light to me. My sister has problems that she won't admit she is having it. My sister is an attractive and shy person, but I think she has a very low self-confidence and thinking everybody wants to take advantage or to hurt her. She was...

How to become a psychologist? [ 4 Answers ]

Can I go to college with a GED to become a psychologist? Does anyone have any good information for me on how to approach it and go from there.

Is there an online psychologist? [ 5 Answers ]

I need help because I don't like life and I have thoughts of dying. Im a shy person face to face. The only way I will ever get help is if I talk to someone online. Someone please help. Thanks ahead of time.

View more questions Search