Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margaretann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 02:00 AM
    Can I tell my tenant not to smoke in the apt if it is not in the lease?
    When I rented to apt I did not know that my tenant smoked. There is nothing in the lease pertaining to smoking other than if the landlord deems things for safety purposes. What are my rights to tell him not to smoke?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2010, 11:45 AM

At this point you can't tell the tenant not to smoke. If it was never in the signed lease or agreed to prior to the renting of the apartment you'll just have to deal with it until the tenant moves out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2010, 11:48 AM

Next time make your lease specify non smoking. But you are stuck with this tenant.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2010, 11:55 AM

Hello m:

Of course, if the apartment is IN your house, and the smoke is permeating everything, which is what it does, you can always BUY him out of his lease...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My landlord knows a previous tenant came in to my apt. But hasn't changed the lock [ 19 Answers ]

I came home last night to discover that someone had been in my apt. I called my landlord and spoke to him this morning. He said that it was a former tenant and thet he was going to get the key from him. I told him that I wanted my lock changed and he said he would "get to it" on Tuesday. The...

Current tenant apt being forclosed. Help please [ 4 Answers ]

I have read other scenarios similar 2 mine and tha answers. (he only difference with my problem is its and effect now. I received a letter and tha mail addressed to the heirs and legatees of my lanlord. I assumed that would be me so I opened it and it read Notice of Sale. Said there will be an...

Apt lease [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove my name as a co-signer from a apartment lease??

Terminating lease as a co-tenant - roommate is staying in the apt. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My roommate and I signed a one-year lease that was scheduled to end May 31, 2007. Our lease stated that if we didn't give 30 days notice, the lease would automatically go month to month. Unfortunately, our relationship deteriorated due to lots of issues... her boyfriend basically moved in...

View more questions Search