Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syou Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Second Deposit Never Cleared into Escrow Acct
    Hi,
    I'm in a situation where buyers went into a sales contract with me to purchase my house w/a preoccupancy agreement from Sept 1 through Jan 31. The buyers were supposed to put an initial deposit of $2k and a second deposit of $4k into long and foster escrow account, which is the buyers agent realestate company. The buyers have failed to pay rent as of November and have not reimbursed me with any utilities. They have vacated my house now giving the excuse of my house not appraising for the sales price - there was no appraisal contingincy in the contract. We have not seen anything in writing from the loan or appraisal company - which they were supposed to give on 12/15. Now I'm trying to get a release of the deposit and I find out through my agent's broker that the $4k (second deposit) never cleared into the escrow account. Neither the buyers agent or long and foster informed anyone from sellers side that the deposit never cleared.

I'm trying to figure out who and how I can sue for the $4k deposit? Or is that a lost cause? How do I ding long and foster and the buyers agent for this?

Thanks
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2006, 12:41 PM
    If you have a signed contract, the terms of the contract are binding upon both parties.

You can file suit based on you contract with the other party.

Have an attorney review your contract and take necessay steps to enforce it.

Dec 27, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Unfortunately I can't afford a lawyer now, so I have to rely on myself and your advice.
    I am already going to file a large claim against a buyers for the rent they owe me. But for the $4k deposit, do I sue the buyers or their agent/long and foster? How else can I ding their agent/long and foster for this?

I do have a signed contract by both parties.

Thanks again
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2006, 12:54 PM
    If it is part of the contract for the deposit to be made by the other party, than that is who you sue.

The wording of the contract is your key, read and re-read it to see which party is respondible.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by syou
    Unfortunately I can't afford a lawyer now, so I have to rely on my self and your advice.
    Hello syou:

If you had afforded yourself a lawyer in the beginning (when you were writing the contract, and couldn't afford a lawyer), this wouldn't be happening to you now. Ever hear the phrase, "penny wise and pound foolish"?

You need a lawyer.

excon

Dec 27, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Well, what are realestate agents and brokers for if I need a lawyer to do everything?

Every lawyer I talk to estimates at least $6K to begin with to handel my case. How am I to pay for that, knowing that the buyers I'm dealing with are experts at doing what they are doing to me now and have nothing they own to their name that I can possibly garnish to get what they owe me back? I found out that these people have broken at least two leases before breaking the contract they have with me. And oh, they moved to another house up the street from where I live and are now renting another house. Guess what they'll do to that owner too?

If you recommend a good lawyer that has reasonable rates in the state of Maryland, please share. But please don't bark at me because I'm already a wreck.

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2006, 07:24 PM
    Let me see if I understand this. The contract called for the buyers to make deposits of $2K and $4K. These deposits were supposed to made at times specified in the contract. The deposits were made but the second check was returned? And you were never informed of that?

If so, I think you do have a case of negligence against the company. They should have informed you when the check was returned. The problem is that the real estate company represented the buyer, not you. That might change their obligations. As far as I know, even though they represent the buyer, managing an escrow should make them responsible to both parties.

I have to say though, that even $6K was kind of low to allow them to live in your house. I would not have allowed them to move in for less than 10% of the purchase price.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financial Acct. Help [ 1 Answers ]

A machine that cost $36,000 and on which $26,000 of accumulated depreciaion had been recorded was sold for $10,400 cash. Record the journal entries that are necessary to account for this transaction. [email protected] with any help please.

Escrow Cancelled What are our Options? [ 6 Answers ]

Escrow opened in early November with a 30 day escrow for the sale of our deceased fathers house. By DEcember 4th the appraisal and loan contingency was lifted by the buyers from the purchase contract. However, a couple of days before the close of escrow which was to be Dec 15th, the buyers asked...

Escrow interest va [ 11 Answers ]

What is the formula for escrow interest in VA

Putting rent in escrow account [ 1 Answers ]

Does NY state allow a tenant to put rent in a escrow account for not having hot water if you live in an apartment building? Also if the roof is leaking?

How soon can you refinance after escrow? [ 5 Answers ]

To get a lower interest rate do you have to wait a certain period to refinance a home after escrow close? Or can you refinance right away? I live in California. Thanks

View more questions Search