Ask
    wayne cundiff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Escrow interest va
    What is the formula for escrow interest in VA
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Do you mean interest on escrow payments to a bank on a mortgage loan? Most banks don't pay interest on escrow. Not sure if VA law requires it.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 15, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne cundiff
    What is the formula for escrow interest in VA
    UNLESS the lease is under the VIRGINIA RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD TENANT ACT and the resident stays longer than 12 months - there is NO interest due on security deposits.

You can find the "formula" for calculating interest in the VRLTA statutes online.

Dec 15, 2006, 09:34 AM
    The problem is that escrow payments and a security deposit are very different. We have to wait for a response to know what we are dealing with.

Dec 15, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Actually * escrow payments are the same.

In VA, if the manager is a licensed RE broker, tenant security deposits are REQUIRED to be in what is known as an "escrow" account and so labeled with the bank... escrow in this sense means it is not the money of the property manager. The account can be a bank account and all funds of clients/tenants are placed in the account.

The term "escrow" means held by a third party which in this instance would be the bank.

Some individual property owners put their tenant deposits in interest bearing accounts/money market accounts knowing that they will have to pay interest under the VRLTA formula and often the interest on the account is greater than the interest due the tenant on the deposit.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The problem is that escrow payments and a security deposit are very different.
    Hello again:

Not when the security deposit must be placed in escrow. You threw in the word "payments".

Cville is guessing that that is what this guy is asking about. I wouldn't bet against it. Not only do we have to be experts at real estate, but we have to be code breakers too.

excon

Dec 15, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Sorry "EX" - I'm a PM in VA and don't need to guess on this issue. The fact that OP wants the "formula" indicates the information desired. The VRLTA statutes contain the "formula" which is complicated.

Dec 15, 2006, 12:26 PM
    § 55-248.15:2. Schedule of interest rates on security deposits.

A. The interest rate established by § 55-248.15:1 varies annually with the annual rate being equal to one percentage point below the Federal Reserve Board discount rate as of January 1 of each year. The purpose of this section is to set out the interest rates applicable under this chapter.

B. The rates are as follows:

1. July 1, 1975, through December 31, 1979, 3.0%.

2. January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1981, 4.0%.

3. January 1, 1982, through December 31, 1984, 4.5%.

4. January 1, 1985, through December 31, 1994, 5.0%.

5. January 1, 1995, through December 31, 1995, 4.75%.

6. January 1, 1996, through December 31, 1996, 5.25%.

7. January 1, 1997, through December 31, 1998, 5.0%.

8. January 1, 1999, through June 30, 1999, 4.5%.

9. July 1, 1999, through December 31, 1999, 3.5%.

10. January 1, 2000, through December 31, 2000, 4.0%.

11. January 1, 2001, through December 31, 2001, 5.0%.

12. January 1, 2002, through December 31, 2002, 0.25%.

13. January 1, 2003, through December 31, 2003, 0%.

14. January 1, 2004, through December 31, 2004, 1.0%.

15. January 1, 2005, through December 31, 2005, 2.25%.

16. January 1, 2006, through December 31, 2006, 4.25%.

Thereafter, the interest rate shall be determined in accordance with subsection B of § 55-248.15:1.

(2003, c. 438; 2006, c. 667.)

Dec 15, 2006, 02:06 PM
    It may be an educated guess and I'm not saying you are wrong. But I don't believe its as black and white as you say. Escrow can also refer to tax and insurance payments made as part of a mortgage payment. It can also refer to payments made at closing to be used for that purpose. While security deposits do go into an escrow account, they are more usually referred to as security deposits.

So until the OP clarifies his question, we can't be sure we are giving him the correct info.

Dec 16, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Again, the request for the "formula" was the DEFINING Clue in addition to the use of the term ESCROW with regard to the deposit.

There is no interest due on mortgage escrow deposits in VA... I have only seen that in CA.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillecpm
    Again, the request for the "formula" was the DEFINING Clue in addition to the use of the term ESCROW with regard to the deposit.
    Hello again Cville:

You still don't get it. That huge chip on your shoulder has got to weigh you down. I gave you a compliment, and you insulted me. Ummh, ummh, ummh!

The fact is, the OP gave only "clues" - your word - not mine. All I said is you took the clues and guessed the right answer. And frankly, it was no more than a guess too. Scott's guess was as worthy as yours, and we still don't know what the OP really wanted. Clearly, there wasn't enough information to be definitive about it - or you wouldn't have posted the above post.

Don't worry, I don't expect an apology. I KNOW what you're made up of. Just keep the attitude to yourself!

excon

Dec 16, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillecpm

There is no interest due on mortgage escrow deposits in VA...I have only seen that in CA.
    The operative word here is "clue". A clue leads one to a conclusion. Its possible for a clue to lead different people to different conclusions all of which have validity.

There is no mention of a deposit in the OP. The only thing mentioned is escrow interest. Since escrow can apply to different things, its possible for different conclusions to be reached. Until we get a clarification, if we ever do, then both of us are just guessing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question on cd interest [ 5 Answers ]

How could I figure out the monthly yied(interest on my investment) on say a 9 or 6 month cd that is paying 5.35% Lets say for a 25k investment Am I correct by doing this: 25,000 x .0535 = 1337.50 1337.50/12= 111.45 a month income?? thanks in advance, harvey

Putting rent in escrow account [ 1 Answers ]

Does NY state allow a tenant to put rent in a escrow account for not having hot water if you live in an apartment building? Also if the roof is leaking?

No Interest in Sex [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone please guide me. My husband and I have been together for 15 years now and recently, well for quite a while, I have had absolutley no interest in sex. I love my husband and he treats me well, but I am just not interested. I am a non-traditional student, and after being in college all...

How soon can you refinance after escrow? [ 5 Answers ]

To get a lower interest rate do you have to wait a certain period to refinance a home after escrow close? Or can you refinance right away? I live in California. Thanks

Bank interest [ 3 Answers ]

The interest my bank is paying is pitiful. I have heard that there are online banks which give a much higher percentage than what I am receiving locally. How does one find a reliable bank like that and how would I get started? We invested in a Federal Agency step up note<?> which is paying 3+%...

View more questions Search