Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paceman2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2010, 10:15 AM
    2002 honda Accord rough Idle
    Have an 02 Accord. 112 K miles. Has my mechanic put in new timing belt and water pump and spark plugs. Got it back and noticed rough idle. Took it back to him. He did notice rough idle. He said he had to run it for ten minutes for computer to do memory run and should solve problem. As a note car shifted funny from first to second gear (automatic), but after he did his memory deal this fixed that problem. The car originally had idle speed of 750. Now when started in goes to 100 for first 5 minutes of cold start then back down to 750 where it continues to idle rough in park, rev and drive. He also checked motor mounts and said all we good. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Rob
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 21, 2010, 10:56 AM

A simple one would be to buy a can of Sea Foam. And run it through your system to clean the injectors and the inside of your engine. Also a can of good injector cleaner in the fuel tank. Follow the directions on the can and be prepared for lots of smoke when you first start it back up. Also if you didn't already change your fuel filter.
    Dragonslayer Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Mar 22, 2010, 01:31 PM

Is this a 4 cyl or V6? Does the car have good power or does it now LACK power? If it lacks power after his timing belt replacement, his valve timing may be off. If it's the 4 cylinder engine, the balance shaft alignment may be off. Also, he should have adjusted the valves when the timing belt was replaced. The exhaust valves tend to recess into the head, given enough time and the cylinder head will be damaged.
    paceman2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer View Post
    Is this a 4 cyl or V6 ?? Does the car have good power or does it now LACK power? If it lacks power after his timing belt replacement, his valve timing may be off. If its the 4 cylinder engine, the balance shaft alignment may be off. Also, he should have adjusted the valves when the timing belt was replaced. The exhaust valves tend to recess into the head, given enough time and the cylinder head will be damaged.
    The car does not seem to lack power and it's a 4 cylinder. I'm not sure if he adjusted the valves when the belt was replaced. I will ask him. Would it be a good idea to just take it in to the Honda dealer? It's been about a week since I had it done. As a note, the RPM's seem to be at around 720 at idle. Thanks,
    Rob
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 07:47 PM

. Clean throttle plate, throttle body, and upper and lower ports.

. Clean Idle Air Control Valve (IACV):

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1054149

. Change PCV Valve.

. Clean air box and replace air filter.

. Set idle rpm to specification.

Start using full-synthetic engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1). Change oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Change transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, using Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda rough start, idle and stalls [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 92 civic w/ 1.5... I have a very rough start and really rough idle when I give it gas it stalls out wit a cloud of white smoke from the intake and smells like fuel... I changed idle control valve, distrubiter, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, pcv valve... im so lost on what the problem is someone...

2001 Honda Civic EX Rough Idle [ 1 Answers ]

Now I know a lot of you guys have seen this before I mean it's a Honda. Well this Honda is my baby so.. CEL Code: P0505 The car has a rough idle, that keeps bouncing up and down. Things I have done and replaced. Took off the Throttle body and cleaned it with carb cleaner, replaced the...

92 Accord rough idle, poor exceleration. [ 3 Answers ]

Just swapped my blown engine with a low mile replacement on my 92' accord that I bought with a badly blown HG and almost seized motor. Just the long block was replaced, and everything on the old engine was working great prior to swapping it onto the new engine. Confirmed good compression in all...

88 Honda CRX Rough Idle [ 1 Answers ]

My CRX idles extremely rough. Also I am sure that the timing is off but have no idea how to adjust it. Can anyone help?

Rough idle on 1988 accord [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 1988 accord,and it idles terrible.I have installed the following items to correct of no avail=new cap(distributer),wires,pcv valve,adjust timing,fuel filters ,heard problem could be,vac. Leak=i can't find one,and now another possible solution the ignitor? Could I ask does...

View more questions Search