Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rcg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 02:12 PM
    What is US tax liability on overseas property sales when proceeds are kept overseas?
    Tax liability on overseas property sales when proceeds are kept overseas.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 05:59 AM

A U.S. citizen or resident must report worldwide income. Report property sale on schedule D (Form 1040).
    If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116.
    Another filing requirement is Form TD F 90-22.1. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes over property sale overseas [ 5 Answers ]

I'm seling a property in Brazil for $150K, deposited in my bank account in Brazil. What are the taxes to transfer the money to my bank account in USA? I want to use the money for down payment in a house here. I'm a Brazilian citizen, and legal resident in USA since 2004. Thanks

Tax on inherited property sold overseas [ 2 Answers ]

My parents (non-US citizens) lived overseas and have passed away. On the death of my mother, I inherited their apartment and have recently sold it and intend transferring the proceeds to the US. I am a US citizen, 72 years old, reside in the US and file joint tax returns with my wife. Question:...

Claiming Overseas Property As Deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am about to file my '07 US taxes as a resident alien. I am an Australian citizen and have a property that is being rented in Australia. My question is - can I claim expenses related to my Australian property (interest, mortgage repayments, etc) on my US tax return? The loan I have is...

Quit Claim Deed for Property Overseas [ 1 Answers ]

My mom wants to sell their home back in Philippines, but needs her children to sign a quit claim deed. Is there a special quit claim deed form for oversea property or just use a generic quit claim deed as long as we put the home address that is being sold?

View more questions Search