Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hourlydaily Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 03:49 AM
    Claiming Overseas Property As Deduction
    Hi all,

I am about to file my '07 US taxes as a resident alien. I am an Australian citizen and have a property that is being rented in Australia. My question is - can I claim expenses related to my Australian property (interest, mortgage repayments, etc) on my US tax return? The loan I have is not with a US bank. Bear in mind, I have also claimed these deductions on my Australian return which I have already filed for the same year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 05:27 AM
    You will also report your rental income and deduct interest and mortgage from the rental income. You will report income and expenses on Schedule E (Form 1040).
    hourlydaily Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Thanks for the response,

I am assuming that since I did not live in the property for any of the year, I can't claim it as a primary or second home? Only as a rental property?

So I should not then also report the same rental income and expenses on my Australian tax return?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Since the property is in Australia, I think that you will be required to report in Australia.
    Then for the taxes paid in Australia, you will claim credit on your U.S. tax return by filing Form 1116.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming property through longterm care [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Georgia. I have been taking care of a small piece of property (about an sixth of an acre) directly behind my property for twenty years. This small piece of property lies between the back of my property and a creek. There is not enough land to develop it in any way. I want to know if I...

Quit Claim Deed for Property Overseas [ 1 Answers ]

My mom wants to sell their home back in Philippines, but needs her children to sign a quit claim deed. Is there a special quit claim deed form for oversea property or just use a generic quit claim deed as long as we put the home address that is being sold?

Claiming property [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother and I recently paid the delinquent taxes on property that was left to my grandfather and his siblings. The only living child is his sister who is the one that told us the property was going to be auctioned off if no one in the family came up with the delinquent tax money. She said...

Claiming married daughter as a deduction [ 3 Answers ]

My 21 year old daughter finished college in May of 2006, moved back home and got a full time job. She paid no rent or other and we continued to pay all of her expenses. She got married on December 30th. Can I still claim her as a dependent given that I paid all of her expenses (including...

Claiming Down payment as deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I am a first time home owner. My question is whether I can claim DOWN PAYMENT on my home which I paid, as a deduction from taxes. Thanks a lot for all this help.

View more questions Search