Jan 29, 2010, 04:48 PM
    Opened up the wall & here is 2 pics
    Thanks
    Rob
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 05:00 PM

Great pics, but I'm having a hard time seeing it clearly. It looks like there is indeed a p trap near the floor? Or does the washer drain go straight into the floor(which would be a no no). If there is a trap, can you move some more insolation and post yet another pic of the piping that it connects to.
    A second, third and fourth look make me really think there is a trap there, so I'm betting there's a vent just to the right.. This is a very good thing. If it's there, this is the vent and drain that you will want to connect back into.
    nortonalberta Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2010, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    great pics, but im having a hard time seeing it clearly. it looks like there is indeed a p trap near the floor? Or does the washer drain go straight into the floor(which would be a no no). If there is a trap, can you move some more insolation and post yet another pic of the piping that it connects to.
    A second, third and fourth look make me really think there is a trap there, so im betting theres a vent just to the right.. This is a very good thing. If its there, this is the vent and drain that you will want to connect back into.
    Unfortunately no trap just an elbow... looks like it leads to a big cleanout (shown in pic)
    Hope this helps
    Thanks
    Rob
    Attached Images

Jan 29, 2010, 07:11 PM

We do get a lot of soap suds coming up through the floor drain to the right of the big cleanout if that help at all.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 12:36 PM
    OK.. forget about the piping between the washer and dryer... the traps missing so I would just cap this all off when you are finished repiping the new washing machine location.

The 2" pipe coming out of the ground that reduces to an 1.5" vent is OK. Here, you can have a waste line on the drain pipe like your sink, but at about 42" it turns into a vent. You can now tie other vents into this vent.

Check out my pics. below.

Cut into the existing 2" coming out of the floor, but cut in below the 2" for the sink. Run that pipe over to the washer at 1/4" pitch per foot of pipe. Install the 2" ptrap with a 30" minimum standpipe. Reduce the vent to 1.5" and run back to the vent as discussed above and connect into it with an inverted sanitray tee fitting.

Hang the pipes every 4 feet and install cleanouts as mentioned previously. Use long sweep elbows ONLY for the drain piping. You can use regular pattern 90s for the vent. The vent pitches from the vent to the drain.

Finally, you may want to consider installing a washing machine box (see last image) if you want to install all this piping inside the studded wall I see... ;)

If you want to put your laundry sink over by the washer let us know and we'll pop up a diagram showing you how to pipe all that up properly!

Hope that is more clear...

MARK
    Attached Images

Jan 31, 2010, 03:14 PM

Thank you so much Mark
    That is exactly what I needed & yes we do want to install a sink in the new laundry room ( would like to use our stainless steel kitchen sink if possable).Hope this doesn't complicate things too much.

Again thank you very much this explains every detail.. Good job

Rob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore stack washer/dryer - washer makes noise during wash [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a Kenmore stack washer/dryer that makes a noise that sounds something like a gear when washing only. Could this be a transmission problem? Jay

Plumb a garage utility sink into existing washer plumbing [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am new and wondering if I can plumb a utility sink drain into a washing machine stand pipe? http://www.treemo.com/content/874630_2egnek0gmxuwi_dd.jpg The sink will be located to the left just past the wall. The drain pipe is has a trap just past where I cut the drywall out on the right. Can...

Plumb Basement Sink Directly Into Stack [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to install a slop sink in my basement. I can place it right next to the vertical main stack, and can connect the sink drain directly to it above the point where it enters the slab. I would also vent the drain line. Would this be allowed (in general) by most codes? Would a check valve...

Leak in basement plumb stack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small leak in one of the connectors in the main plumb stack in the basement. The water running down (slowly) seems to be clear. What do I do? How can I find out where it is coming from. There is no odor. Thanks Conny

Drain line 5 feet long going into main stack [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a washing machine drain line using 2" ABS pipe. The drain line will be installed within a 5 foot horizontal run going into the main stack. Within 5 feet of the main stack, do I need a vent line? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search