Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elmiko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Plumb Basement Sink Directly Into Stack
    I'd like to install a slop sink in my basement. I can place it right next to the vertical main stack, and can connect the sink drain directly to it above the point where it enters the slab. I would also vent the drain line. Would this be allowed (in general) by most codes? Would a check valve between the trap and stack be required? I've never had any sewage backups, but then again I've never had any plumbing fixtures in the basement. My concern is being the lowest connection to the stack, waste and gas could back up through the slop sink drain.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 4, 2007, 09:51 AM
    May you connect your sink to the stack? Yes. May you use the stack as a wet vent for your sink? No.
    My concern is being the lowest connection to the stack, waste and gas could back up through the slop sink drain.
    This is why we install "P" traps. Nothing could enter the sink unless you have a clog downstream and the it would back up out of the floor drain.
    Would a check valve between the trap and stack be required? I've
    No,
    I would also vent the drain line.
    If you mean you're going to revent back into the stack for a vent , that's not acceptable. The sinks vent will have to revent back into a dry vent at least 6inches over the flood rim of the fixture that you're reventing back to.
    Regards, Tom
    Elmiko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 10:54 AM
    No, I'd dry vent it by tying in to a vertical dry vent upstairs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in basement plumb stack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small leak in one of the connectors in the main plumb stack in the basement. The water running down (slowly) seems to be clear. What do I do? How can I find out where it is coming from. There is no odor. Thanks Conny

Basement toilet vent stack [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting a toilet, shower and sink in my basement, on an outside wall. We are on a septic system and I am chosing to use a collection tank and ejector sewage pump. How do I vent this system? Can I just go out through the joist headers? There is no stack remotely close that goes to the roof that...

Installing a toilet, sink and tub in attic using existing stack [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a toilet, sink and tub into my attic space that I am finishing. My question is: how can I tie into the existing 4" stack without affecting the fixtures below. Presently the stack acts as a vent for the lower story fixtures. Will I need to re-vent the lower fixtures in...

Basement 4" PVC stack [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I posted a while back about doing a basement bathroom and am about to start the project. I was wondering if there is a rule or code that requires the 4"PVC stack to extend all the way to the joists in the basement before going with a reducing bushing to take off with the vent, OR, can I save...

View more questions Search