Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DDave Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2004, 08:53 AM
    Shower valve
    Tom, how are you doing? Can you explain all of the differences to me between a thermostatic water valve and a pressure regulated valve, and which one would be the best to use for my new shower for temp. control. I want to avoid those WOWs when someone turns on water somewhere else in the house. Thanks Tom. Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2004, 08:32 AM
    Re: shower valve
    Hi Dave, Pretty much the same. You get one you get the other. Thermostatic and Pressure Balanced Shower Valve
    How It Works:
    The mixed water temperature is regulated by eliminating variations in temperature and/or pressure in the incoming water supply. Incoming water is first led past a regulating shuttle which positions itself so that both hot and cold water enter the mixing chamber at the same pressure.

In the mixing chamber the thermostat (a copper-plated brass bulb filled with wax and copper-powder) reacts to the temperature of the mixed water. As it expands or contracts, the thermostat adjusts the proportions of incoming hot and cold water.

The temperature of the mixed water is continually being measured and adjusted to match that decided by the temperature control knob.

DDave Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2004, 10:32 AM
    Shower valve
    Tom, thanks for clearing that up for me. That being said, in your opinion what are the top three or four brands of faucets on the market? Thanks again. Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2004, 10:38 AM
    Shower valve
    Hey Dave, A few come to mind. Symmons Temptrol, Grohe Faucets, Moen and Price Pfister to name a few. All have web sites explaining their products. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower and tub valve set [ 6 Answers ]

After having my last dilemna solved here, I figured it was worth another shot. We are attempting to pick out a shower valve for our shower stall. The one set that we like includes a tub faucet that we don't need as the space has a shower stall only, no tub. My question is... is it possible and...

Help on Dripping Shower Valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have an American Standard shower valve that needs to be rebuilt/replaced. I've managed to get the handle off with a puller, but now am stuck trying to remove the stem cover (I'm guessing that's what it's called). Do you have any idea how I get this off (see below). I assume it spins on, as...

Leak in shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

Need some help with a leak in the hot water valve in the shower. It does not leak when the valve is closed, but leaks behind the valve when the hot or the cold water valve is opened up. It appears to me to be a pinhole, but I cannot see it. The leak is only behind the hot (left) even when the cold...

Shower valve body [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new shower in an addition and purchased a new shower kit from Price Pfister. The shower valve is going into a 2x4 wall. The question I have is do they make different sizes of valve bodies because the one I have, when installed according to instructions, will only allow for about...

Changing a shower valve [ 11 Answers ]

How do you know what rough in pipe size (for your new valve)your shower is without opening the wall. My house is 7 years old. There is a bathroom next to it as well.

View more questions Search