Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnszakal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Leak in shower valve
    Need some help with a leak in the hot water valve in the shower. It does not leak when the valve is closed, but leaks behind the valve when the hot or the cold water valve is opened up. It appears to me to be a pinhole, but I cannot see it. The leak is only behind the hot (left) even when the cold is just turned on. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnszakal
    Need some help with a leak in the hot water valve in the shower. It does not leak when the valve is closed, but leaks behind the valve when the hot or the cold water valve is opened up. It appears to me to be a pinhole, but I cannot see it. The leak is only behind the hot (left) even when the cold is just turned on. Thanks
    Hey John,
    "The leak is only behind the hot (left) even when the cold is just turned on."
    Until I saw that I was going to instruct you on how to snug up the hot water bonnet packing nut.(Have you pulled the chrome cover plate behind the hot water knob and checked to see? ) But If you're sure the hot water side is off when you run cold water and it still leaks then the leak is got to be in the valve body or the shower raiser and about the only way to check would be to open up the wall behind the valve and check. Let me know what you find. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower and tub valve set [ 6 Answers ]

After having my last dilemna solved here, I figured it was worth another shot. We are attempting to pick out a shower valve for our shower stall. The one set that we like includes a tub faucet that we don't need as the space has a shower stall only, no tub. My question is... is it possible and...

Help on Dripping Shower Valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have an American Standard shower valve that needs to be rebuilt/replaced. I've managed to get the handle off with a puller, but now am stuck trying to remove the stem cover (I'm guessing that's what it's called). Do you have any idea how I get this off (see below). I assume it spins on, as...

Shower valve body [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new shower in an addition and purchased a new shower kit from Price Pfister. The shower valve is going into a 2x4 wall. The question I have is do they make different sizes of valve bodies because the one I have, when installed according to instructions, will only allow for about...

Changing a shower valve [ 11 Answers ]

How do you know what rough in pipe size (for your new valve)your shower is without opening the wall. My house is 7 years old. There is a bathroom next to it as well.

Shower valve [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? Can you explain all of the differences to me between a thermostatic water valve and a pressure regulated valve, and which one would be the best to use for my new shower for temp. control. I want to avoid those WOWs when someone turns on water somewhere else in the house....

View more questions Search