Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rawr_itssonya Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Dec 18, 2009, 02:52 AM
    Should I break up with my boyfriend for talking to his ex-wife?
    My boyfriend just ended a very very bitter marriage over the course of a year and a half separation/breakup with his ex wife. Their divorce papers recently cleared through, but a couple nights ago (they haven't talked since they initially separated over a year ago) he sent her a friend request on myspace with a message that they should keep in touch and whatnot. I was wondering if this kind of behavior should be considered cheating, or at the very least, grounds for cheating- by which I should end our relationship or stay on a close lookout. Every other time he mentioned his ex wife to me (and/or friends) his comments were extremely negative so I'm puzzled at the fact that he wants to communicate with her again. Please offer your support/advice. Thanks so much!
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 03:03 AM

Have you asked him why he did this? I would.

Dec 18, 2009, 03:17 AM

No its 5am here and I haven't talked to him yet. Honestly, I don't even know what to say to him
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 03:24 AM

Ask him why when next you talk to him-honest,calm communication and then you'll know.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 08:43 AM
    I would certainly ask him about it, and it may be he just wants things on a more cordial footing. Do they have kids together? Are you still in high school?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rawr_itssonya View Post
    my bf just ended a very very bitter marriage over the course of a year and a half separation/breakup with his ex wife. their divorce papers recently cleared through, but a couple nights ago (they haven't talked since they initially separated over a year ago) he sent her a friend request on myspace with a message that they should keep in touch and whatnot. i was wondering if this kind of behavior should be considered cheating, or at the very least, grounds for cheating- by which i should end our relationship or stay on a close lookout. every other time he mentioned his ex wife to me (and/or friends) his comments were extremely negative so im puzzled at the fact that he wants to communicate with her again. please offer your support/advice. thanx so much!
    When did you find out about the Friend Request that he sent a couple of days ago? How did you find out about the friend request?

It could be that he has decided to let the hurt and pain go now the papers are signed. Did you expect him to keep 'bad-mouthing' her for the rest of his life? Holding on to that kind of anger and hurt usually twists the person's perception of relationships causing him/her to end up pushing away current/future mates.

Please explain how reaching out an olive branch to an ex after a bitter divorce is cheating or grounds for cheating. Do you feel the same way about every other female he befriends on MySpace?
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
    ...every other time he mentioned his ex wife to me (and/or friends) his comments were extremely negative so im puzzled at the fact that he wants to communicate with her again.
    As well you should be. It's not cheating like Cat mentioned, but it's definitely peculiar. If you ask him about it and he immediately gets defensive, he would look even more suspect.

In my opinion, the reason behind it is he's not over her, as it's evident in the fact he paints her in a bad light.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 11:36 AM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...ip-400538.html

If this is the same guy, you have more to correct than just the way he deals with his ex wife. You have not mention children, or your age but your profile says your still in High school, so maybe you don't have the tools, or experience yet to deal with this situation.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 12:37 PM

If he has children, he will have to deal with the ex for the rest of his life. Any way around it, he has a history with his ex. Just keep an eye on the situation, but don't tell him that you've been snooping on his Facebook page.

If you truly think you can't trust him - leave him.

Jan 7, 2010, 04:35 PM

He doesn't have children, and yes I'm out of high school. We talked about it and he says he does it as a joke to try to see if she will actually respond(they haven't talked since she kicked him out). I don't know what to think anymore so I decided instead of being so insecure with myself I should just leave it alone. It really is none of my business, but I guess I was just afraid he wanted her back. Things have returned to normal for us, but I still keep my eyes open for anything else that seems suspicious
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2010, 05:02 PM

If I had a bad break-up, I surely wouldn't be "joking around" with my ex. As they say - "let dead dogs lie".

Keep your eyes open - seems like odd behavior to me.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2010, 05:08 PM

That excuse is WORSE than the behavior. What kind of joke is that?
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2010, 08:01 PM

You actually bought that?
    overayear1 Posts: 14, Reputation: 5

Jan 8, 2010, 10:30 AM

WOW I can't believe that was his excuse. Well if he ever did cheat on you at least you would def know. He is the worse liar ever!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 07:36 AM
    he doesn't have children, and yes i'm out of highschool. we talked about it and he says he does it as a joke to try to see if she will actually respond(they haven't talked since she kicked him out). i dunno what to think anymore so i decided instead of being so insecure with myself i should just leave it alone. it really is none of my business, but i guess i was just afraid he wanted her back. things have returned to normal for us, but i still keep my eyes open for anything else that seems suspicious
    Just say it makes you uncomfortable and you would prefer that he didn't contact her. Ask him if, as a favor to you, he would refrain from doing that. You could say you don't see anything good coming of it. Then see what he says. You are perfectly within your rights to say how you feel. If he cares about you, he'll stop with whatever games he is up to. If he continues, then he's sending you a message that whatever he is up to is more important than getting along with you. Simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My wife is talking to another guy all the time. [ 10 Answers ]

I have been married to my wife for 4 1/2 years now. I moved countries and left my family after meeting her while I was studying in the US. We have always had arguments, but not more than any other married couple I know and we have always made up. Just recently she became very distant and...

Wife was talking to man at work secretly [ 2 Answers ]

When ever I Wish to talk about it she say I am dwelling on the past which was only a month ago and she claims not to know why or can't remember what they talked about. I think it was more than what she is telling me and I don't think she is being completely honest with me. What can I say to her or...

Wife is unstable, don't know if we should break up [ 5 Answers ]

I feel like I'm in a really messy situation. I'm 22 and my wife and I got only recently got married - less than one month ago. It took me until just about right now to realize that I'm not sure I did the right thing. Before I say anything, I want to clarify that my wife is not one of those...

My wife is talking with her x [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I dated my wife for about 3 or so years and we haven't been married quite a year yet. Things aren't always the greatest, but aren't always bad. But recently she started talking with one of her x boyfriends that in the past she has cheated on other guys with to be with. Well her and I...

Young wife needs to take a break [ 4 Answers ]

This is the 4th day I was forced to take a break after she moved out (not completely; most of her belongings are still here). This forum has become my corner stone of the healing process since. I am very impressed with the depth and knowledge of our members posted here. This is my first ever...

View more questions Search