Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stude42 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Blue flame heaters
    I have a blue flame "Feature Comfort" model heater that the pilot will blow out each time the burner shuts off. Is there anything I can adjust to correct this? The pilot is blue and works fine to light the burner but goes out when the burner shuts off from the thermostat and can be re-lit each time.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 07:11 PM
    A exact brand name and exact model number is needed. Is this a wall mount heater?
    Does this heater have a oxygen depletion sensor next to the pilot?

Nov 30, 2009, 08:05 PM
    The brand name is "Feature Comfort" sold by Lowe's, Model #MD300TBE. I am not sure who actually makes the unit. It is a wall unit that is sitting on the feet option 6" from the wall. The unit worked fine for about a day before the pilot started going out each time the burner would shut off. I bought this unit about 3 months ago to give to my mother so I doubt I can take it back for an exchange now and hope there is a fix for it.

The unit has two pilots (1 for LP and one for natural gas) that oppose each other and a rotating valve in the rear of the unit that can switch between the two types of gas. I do not know if it has a depletion sensor next to the pilot. There are two lines that appear to be thermocouples that go up to the control valve if that helps. I will try to get more information.

Nov 30, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Look up your manual here. Just look for the number and dl.

http://www.usaprocom.com/manuals.php

If you can return it do it and get another one.

Nov 30, 2009, 09:20 PM
    Thank you for the link. I looked in the manual but unfortunately nothing references the pilot light going out when the burner shuts off. I will see if there is a way to move the pilot away from the burner slightly to see if that maybe helps.

Dec 1, 2009, 01:35 AM
    The adjustments on these type of units are very sensitive and you do have a oxygen depletion sensor according to your manual. I would not adjust the pilot since the assembly is also part of the oxygen depletion system.

Dec 1, 2009, 08:11 AM
    Thank you for the help. I will see if I can purchase a pilot assembly with the oxygen sensor and replace it. If not then I will get another heater to replace it.

Dec 1, 2009, 07:55 PM

I got hold of the company and they are sending me a metal cover to place over the pilot light. They said in rare cases this can happen and it should correct the problem. It appears the small fan at the top of the heater is pushing just enough air down to the bottom to blow out the pilot.

Thanks for the link to the manual and your help. Hopefully this will solve the problme.

Dec 1, 2009, 09:32 PM
    I hope that cures the problem for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Trane furnace clicks and lights blue flame, but no heat [ 2 Answers ]

My not-very-new Trane gas furnace has been struggling intermittently for many months. It's only gotten really bad about 3 or 4 times. Here's what it does: - Quiet clicks I can hear when standing next to it, about 2 per second - Loud clunking noises about once every 5 or 6 seconds, I can...

Blue Flame-Pilot will not stay lit-Hot Water Heater [ 7 Answers ]

My pilot light has a crisp blue flame when I light it and stays that color, but it will not stay lit. I have no problem lighting it, and then it takes off, but then it will go out after an hour or so. So, is this the thermocoupler?

Electric baseboard heaters -wiring 1 thermostat to two heaters [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to heat my new garage with electric baseboard heaters. The new garage is 20X24 feet. I would like to use only one 240V #12 2 wire circuit running two heaters at a total of 3800 watts. I plan to use 2 pole 20A breakers and 2c #12 wire. I would like to have both heaters controlled...

Gas heater flame is orange instead of blue [ 1 Answers ]

The flame on my heater is burning orange rather than blue can you please advise what is wrong?

Orange Flame Gas Appliances Make Me Blue [ 2 Answers ]

All burners on stove are burning with an orange flame. The heater and water heater also have an orange flame. Could there be a problem with the gas service into the house, possibly a meter problem ? Everything was fine and suddenly all went bad ? Thanks, KFMT

View more questions Search