Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shamer81 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Blue Flame-Pilot will not stay lit-Hot Water Heater
    My pilot light has a crisp blue flame when I light it and stays that color, but it will not stay lit. I have no problem lighting it, and then it takes off, but then it will go out after an hour or so. So, is this the thermocoupler?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2008, 06:13 PM

It sounds like problem with the thermocouple, First check the connection for loosenss, tightend the nut at the valve about 1/4 of a turn and try if it will help if not,then you replace the thermocouple it is cheap to buy and is easy to replace, good luck.

John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Hey Shamer...

Try tightening the connection from the thermocouple to the gas valve... say 1/8th turn or less... just snug it up (don't overtighten). If this then continues then may be good idea to change the thermocouple.

How old is heater?

Let me know...

MARK

We almost got that one word for word... huh John... :)

Nov 22, 2008, 07:04 PM

I think that the heater is original to the house. 11 years or so. But the pilot has an electric ignitor is and closed off, I have to view it through a small window.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Hey Shamer...

If you have a closed combustion chamber then it is possible that a VAPOR switch is cutting out the pilot... This can be due to a few things, especially excess condensation, or it could simply be an older, defective vapor switch.

If you have a closed combustion chamber (need to remove screws to remove door to combustion chamber) then you could try to bypass the vapor switch by connecting the two wires that run to it together... temporarily.. see if that helps!

Check out the instruction booklet that usually hangs from the heater (if present) and do a quick read through the troubleshooting section. Otherwise, get us the name of heater, the model number and the serial number... see what we can do here.

If this is not a closed combustion chamber let me know.

MARK

Nov 23, 2008, 10:15 AM

My thermocoupler runs down to a small black circlular disk, then continues on with the copper wiring. Some people at the local Ace hardware said that it is a temperature switch. I have tried to bypass it and I'll see if that works. I don't know if that is the vapor switch that you were talking about. The guys at yhe hardware store also said it might be worth it to replace the hot water heater because it is about 11 years old. It is a Reliance 606. Model number 640XORT. SN-C04226584.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Shamer... have you checked the filter /screen at the base of the heater.. If this screen is clogged this could reduce air for combustion and could cause issues with pilot lighting.

And sounds like a CLOSED combustion chamber (you did not confirm this for me?. does combustion door have screws? ). If this is the case then I doubt it is the thermocouple here... more like the thermal switch (outside combustion chamber)... or could be flame arrestor issues from inside the chamber (combustion air issues).

Check out this link:

http://www.reliancewaterheaters.com/...186486-002.pdf

This should be your heater exact, or may be newer model. Let me know.

Scroll down to page 31 of 36 for pilot troubleshooting. As I worked it out, the gas valve is gone (internal sensors)... and since heater is 11 years old... may be best to replace the unit.

Let me know what you think...

MARK
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 05:17 PM

After you light the pilot and it is the pretty blue flame that you described, what does it look like through the glass window after you turn the gas to on? Does the water heater burner burn a pretty blue flame or does the entire inside of the chambe look like a yellow flame, and the flame tips are not pointing up from the burner but dropping down?

The Relianse water heater of that age has a cordite disc in the bottom of the heater, with hundreds of very small holes in it, this is what make it a explosion proof heater ( So they say, I am not convienced yet). I think that yours is covered with dust and lint.

If you will take off the black filter a the bottom side of the water heater you can use a very flat long handle brush to brush the lint and dust off this inside filter. After you brush it off you can use a vacuum to suck all of the lint out.

Another way that I have do it is to disconnect the vent pipe from the top of the heater, and then connect my shop vac to the top of the heater. I use duct tape to make it stay and to make it air proof. Now turn on the shop vac and blow the dust out the bottom of the heater, at the same time you another vac to suck the dust out the bottom.

If this works for you please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by shamer81 View Post
    My pilot light has a crisp blue flame when I light it and stays that color, but it will not stay lit. I have no problem lighting it, and then it takes off, but then it will go out after an hour or so. So, is this the thermocoupler?
    Did you ever find out for sure what was wrong with your water heater?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit [ 43 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas water heater will not stay lit. I can light the pilot light, but when I release the valve, it goes out.

Excessive Flame from Hot Water Heater Pilot Light [ 2 Answers ]

Recently replaced thermocouple in hot water heater due to no pilot light. Upon installation, the pilot light burns with a much higher flame than before. What might cause this?

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, last Friday BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) turned off the gas supply to a couple row houses on my block. They said water had gotten in the gas line and they were in the process of clearing it out. On Tuesday, when I was able to get my heat back (electric ignitor), the service guy tried to...

Leaky water heater, now pilot light will not stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

We had a substantial leak in our water heater, to the point where the insulation was soaked around the tank. We had that fixed by a plumber but now the pilot light will not stay lit. it will light, and seconds after turning the heat back to on it will go out. It has now been over 24 hours since...

Water heater pilot won't stay on [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot on my water heater will turn off two to three times per week. Why might cause this problem?

View more questions Search