Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 30, 2009, 09:44 AM
    Change in Behavior (Basset)
    Our Basset is 13 months old, we've had her since 8 weeks of age.

She's always been a healthy eater, but in the last week, she's begun to exhibit strange eating habits. She will approach the dish, then walk away and act "annoyed". Eventually, she'll go to eat, but acts like its labored, taking one nugget at a time and eating much slower than normal.

She's been on the same brand food her entire life and stopped puppy chow around 2-3 months ago.
    She gets a controlled amount due to a Basset's body structure/weight issues. (2 meals a day, occasional treats)
    She's not acting physically ill (no vomit or stool changes)
    Her drinking habits are the same
    Her energy level is unchanged
    She's fed at the same time as the other dog, but they have their own food dishes a few feet apart.

Our older dog (Beagle/Aussie mix) is almost 5. They are the best of friends and rough house/play tug daily. We checked her mouth for sores, thinking she was uncomfortable, but haven't noticed any changes. We tried moistening her food with water, again, no change so we stopped, afraid it would give her loose stools.

Any ideas?

Sometimes I suspect its just another game this stubborn girl has learned to bait and mock the older dog--who wants that ignored food! :rolleyes:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsIGo View Post

Any ideas?

Sometimes I suspect its just another game this stubborn girl has learned to bait and mock the older dog--who wants that ignored food! :rolleyes:
    Yes, your little basset has her own agenda here; you are probably right. There is nothing wrong with her but boredom and she has just thought of way to relieve it ;)

Tick
    Survivor

Oct 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    yes, your little basset has her own agenda here; you are probably right. There is nothing wrong with her but boredom and she has just thought of way to relieve it ;)

tick
    I hope this is the case, but I'll continue to watch her. ;)

Thanks! I thought the idea sounded crazy... but crazy would suit Libby as a middle name. She's a silly little something!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2009, 06:21 PM

Welcome to the 12 month hunger strike.

A lot of dogs will become finicky and don't want to eat around 1 year of age, I have just been through it with one of mine, he wsa skin and bones for a while there and he has only just started putting weight back on at 18 months of age.

You can try adding to his food (sardines, gravy etc) but don't be too fussy he will eat again properly when he's ready.
    Survivor

Nov 3, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Welcome to the 12 month hunger strike.

A lot of dogs will become finicky and don't want to eat around 1 year of age, I have just been through it with one of mine, he wsa skin and bones for a while there and he has only just started putting weight back on at 18 months of age.

You can try adding to his food (sardines, gravy etc) but don't be too fussy he will eat again properly when he's ready.
    I had never heard of that!

Funny, it did start just days after her 1st birthday. Lol
    She did it just long enough to make me worry... now it seems she's moved on to bigger and better kinds of "trouble." Those bassets really are a funny breed! :D
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsIGo View Post

Those bassets really are a funny breed! :D
    Bassets may not look like they are up too much, but actually are quite intelligent and get bored easily (they do a wonderful job of looking like they having nothing to do) but that mind is going all the time. Great personality, wonderful friend to everyone in the family but attached to just one they will love forever.

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 07:11 PM

I've heard they are quite quirky little dogs, they are rather lazy most of the time but when they are in the mood to play they can be quite a handful.

Some games that might be entertaining for him (and you) would be to get a sandbox or something similar and hide treats in it for him to sniff out... it will keep him busy and make good use of that powerful nose.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 07:24 PM
    My basset (4 years old) still goes through this every once in a while. It seems it's just part of the basset temperament.
    Survivor

Nov 4, 2009, 11:57 AM

What everyone has said is true!

She's lazy so much of the time, but when she's ready to play, there is no stopping her and the whole house better move out of her way! Lol :D

A week later and she's already past her "food game" so I'm sure it was just to mess with our minds and cure her own boredom. Silly girl!

I will find new ways to use her nose, for sure. DH plans on taking her out into the woods soon, now that she's showing such an interest in bunnies and squirrels. (He hunts and has trained our older dog already)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat behavior change [ 4 Answers ]

My male cat has been acting strangely the last couple of days. He usually does not like to sit with people, and dislikes being bothered, but lately this has changed. He has been sleeping in weird places, like under desks, and comes and curls up next to people. Also if you pick him up and set him...

Behavior change [ 1 Answers ]

Is it unheathy to not spay an indoor cat

Change in her behavior and weight! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cat, she was an astray I've had her since last oct at the beginning she was slim, but put on weight after a couple of months, two weeks ago when the weather changed I noticed she slept the entire day which I found strange, after a couple of days I noticed her stomach seemed sucked in when...

My cat behavior has change [ 2 Answers ]

My cat has been hissing at my husband mostly lately. She has not been the friendliest of cats. We have only been married for a short while. She seemed to be OK with him and now she has gone backwards. She is almost 12 years old... any thoughts?

Cat Behavior Change [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have an 11 year old cat who has , over the past few weeks, become more withdrawn and just acting.. different. He doesn't come when he's called, he kind of hides from everyone and the other cats (one his brother and one his best friend). He just has lost the spring in his step and even his...

View more questions Search