Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeul7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Change in her behavior and weight!
    I have a cat, she was an astray I've had her since last oct at the beginning she was slim, but put on weight after a couple of months, two weeks ago when the weather changed I noticed she slept the entire day which I found strange, after a couple of days I noticed her stomach seemed sucked in when before she had a belly, she hasn't gotten any worse but still lies around all day when before she wanted to go outside or would follow me everywhere I went, I took her to the vet to get her vaccines up to date and had her tested for lukimia and the cat fiv and was all negative, they said that she looks healthy, but they didn't see her before, and as I'm writing this there she is laying on a mat I made for her can anyone give me any reason as to what's happening is she sick or just going through some changes. I don't want to loose her if I can help it. Thanks
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Did you tell the vet specifically what your concerns were? I would go back to the vet and have some tests done. Unfortunately I don't think anyone can tell you what's wrong, all answers would be guesses as no one can see the cat or run any tests.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 01:59 AM
    two weeks ago when the weather changed I noticed she slept the entire day which I found strange,
    When the weather changed... my cats have been lying around a lot too. They do it every summer. Even with the A/C on, just seems to happen. They even get mostly canned food, which has way more moisture, meaning they aren't as dehydrated as most cats, and they still lie around a lot more. And the one doesn't eat as much.

So that part, in and of itself, I don't find strange at all.

As for the weight -- first, I have to wonder from the way you describe it. A lot of cats are overweight. If by "belly" you mean something that sticks out as an obvious belly, they aren't supposed to look like that anyway. Their belly shouldn't be sticking out. From the top view, they should show a bit of a waist, just not so much that their backbone looks too bony. But if by "sucked in" you mean everything seems all hollow, like seriously too small, that's a different story. So it's hard telling what you mean, other than that many cats are overweight so people think that's the norm. And the vet said she "looked" healthy. (Not that I have great faith in a lot of vets, but they oughta know an underweight cat when they see one.)

But a cat also shouldn't suddenly lose weight. This may not be so sudden and you just haven't noticed. But if it was really that sudden, that might worry me. Even if she was overweight before, losing weight quickly still can be a problem.

I'm not quite sure if there really is a problem here or not. Certainly lying around with the weather change I don't find odd. Don't know about the weight loss. If you're that concerned, you can always go back, make sure you clearly describe the entire situation, and make sure they run a complete blood panel with CBC, and a urinalysis. If it were me, I'd probably keep an eye on her for a while and see if she really does seem sick in some way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat behavior change [ 4 Answers ]

My male cat has been acting strangely the last couple of days. He usually does not like to sit with people, and dislikes being bothered, but lately this has changed. He has been sleeping in weird places, like under desks, and comes and curls up next to people. Also if you pick him up and set him...

Change in my puppy behavior [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy just turn three months. I gave her a bath during the day. She appeared to sleep more after giving her a bath. She slept for the entire day. Then she plays at night She plays more at the night time. If I give her at bath at night will that reverse this behavior and allow me to sleep at...

My cat behavior has change [ 2 Answers ]

My cat has been hissing at my husband mostly lately. She has not been the friendliest of cats. We have only been married for a short while. She seemed to be OK with him and now she has gone backwards. She is almost 12 years old... any thoughts?

Sudden change in behavior [ 1 Answers ]

My 3-y-old neutered, female Burmese cat, who has always been very gentle and loving both with me and my other cats has suddenly started attacking my other two cats. This has lasted for about 16 hours at this time. What could be wrong with her?

Cat Behavior Change [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have an 11 year old cat who has , over the past few weeks, become more withdrawn and just acting.. different. He doesn't come when he's called, he kind of hides from everyone and the other cats (one his brother and one his best friend). He just has lost the spring in his step and even his...

View more questions Search