Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marisa_anne Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 01:52 PM
    Everyone invited to cousin's wedding except me and my husband
    My daughter and her family and me and my husband live together. She and I were both invited to my cousin's bridal shower. We were unable to attend as young children were not invited. Gifts were sent with another member of the family. Everyone in the family received a wedding invitation, including my daughter and her husband. My husband and I were not addressed on their invite nor did we receive one. This is my 1st cousin's (who is deceased) only daughter. I will be sending a gift. Should I say something about not being invited or just let it be? And if so, how do I word it?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Have you tried calling her? Or having your daughter call her? Maybe they sent a separate invitation to you and your husband and made a mistake on the address. These things happen more often than you might think. It would be a shame to miss the wedding over a mistake like that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 01:58 PM

If you couldn't make it to the bridal shower because young children were not invited, perhaps they think you wouldn't come to the wedding either.

I would send a nice gift and card, and just let it be.

Oct 15, 2009, 02:12 PM

My daughter sent a reply that they were unable to attend as they had a previous engagement. She was also contacted on FaceBook and was told that some invites went out late so the RSVP date was moved. At that time she explained that we had not received an invite. No answer was given. And the children are my daughter's, not mine.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marisa_anne View Post
    My daughter sent a reply that they were unable to attend as they had a previous engagement. She was also contacted on FaceBook and was told that some invites went out late so the RSVP date was moved. At that time she explained that we had not received an invite. No answer was given. And the children are my daughter's, not mine.
    Then I would call the bride to tell her you would love to come but haven't gotten an invitation yet.

Oct 15, 2009, 02:47 PM

If it were only that easy. 1st - we have no current number for the bride and 2nd - the wedding is this Saturday. It was bad enough the invites that were received were received late - last week of September. We originally learned of the wedding (no date) from the bride's mother at a baby shower for another cousin in early August. Come to think of it, she made a strange comment after telling us there was going to be a wedding. That it was going to be mostly young people. I am the same age as her husband (if he were still alive - early 50's), and my Aunt is in her 70's. The Aunts and Uncles of the bride are all in their late 40's and early 50's, the same as me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 03:11 PM
    If it were only that easy. 1st - we have no current number for the bride and 2nd - the wedding is this Saturday. It was bad enough the invites that were received were received late - last week of September. We originally learned of the wedding (no date) from the bride's mother at a baby shower for another cousin in early August. Come to think of it, she made a strange comment after telling us there was going to be a wedding. That it was going to be mostly young people. I am the same age as her husband (if he were still alive - early 50's), and my Aunt is in her 70's. The Aunts and Uncles of the bride are all in their late 40's and early 50's, the same as me.
    Hmmmm. I always think of weddings as family affairs. Wait for an announcement?

If I remember my etiquette correctly, anyone can go to a wedding. It's the reception that requires an invitation.

Oct 15, 2009, 03:29 PM
    Wedding and reception are by invite only. My sister who is not going because she is watching her granddaughter so her daughter can attend, offered me her invite, we declined at the time thinking we would eventually receive one. My biggest question is to I address the issue somehow tactfully when I send the gift so they are aware we did not receive one, or just forget it. If I am to address it, how? If you say send give and don't say anything, I'm afraid, my Aunt, who is the only relative (other then her children and grandchildren) I have left on my mother's side, will think we just blew it off.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 03:39 PM
    If I am to address it, how? If you say send give and don't say anything, I'm afraid, my Aunt, who is the only relative (other then her children and grandchildren) I have left on my mother's side, will think we just blew it off.
    Call your aunt and tell her what happened? (or will that cause bad blood to flow?) Does the bride have a mother you could call? If you are on the guest list, they are probably wondering why you haven't RSVPed. Is there any family squabble going on that would have kept you from getting an invitation? Only younger relatives and friends being invited might be reason enough for the bride and groom.

If you send a gift and card without attending the wedding, just put a good spin on things by saying how much you would have loved to be at the wedding, but had never received an invitation. And then wish them a wonderful married life.

Oct 15, 2009, 04:27 PM

Yes, calling my Aunt would probably stir things up. There is no bad blood that I am aware of. We were at another cousin's baby shower when we were told there was going to be a wedding. We were invited to the bridal shower and even though we were unable to attend, I sent a handmade bridal cap (worn for shower, rehearsal dinner, honeymoon) as well as a lovely memory maker wedding scrapbook. (Bride & Groom are not registered anywhere.) The reasoning of only inviting younger guests doesn't work either as I stated earlier, mose of the family members are in their 30's, 40's & 50's and my Aunt is in her 70's. I do like your suggestion of putting a spin on the situation and will do just that. Thank you for your assistance, you were very helpful. Not only did it allow me to vent a little but gave me a solution I can live with. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would this be okay to wear to my cousin's wedding? [ 21 Answers ]

Would this dress and cardigan be okay to wear? I know it's black and white but I thought if I added the pink it would be OK. The wedding is next Friday and my mom won't take me shopping. 22784 22785 And what shoes should I wear, my flats or heals? Both pairs of shoes are comfy, I just can't...

Not invited to best friend's wedding - not sure how to handle it [ 12 Answers ]

My best friend of almost 15 years recently became engaged. We have been there for each other through many ups and downs. She was invited to and attended my small destination wedding (10 people invited) four years ago. Over the last year and a half we have grown apart somewhat as I have relocated...

Do they expect a wedding gift? We weren't invited. [ 11 Answers ]

Please help this has happened three times to us in the last few months. Friend or coworker calls up on the phone to share the news that they have gotten married. Great, OK, but in one guy's case I didn't even know he was engaged until after he called. Are they somehow trying to get wedding gifts...

Ex husband at the wedding [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is getting married, and she wants her father and I to do the normal stuff parents do at a wedding. I don't have a problem doing this with my ex husband, but I know if will be real awkward being I will be there with my husband. I want my daughters wedding to THE GREATEST. Without feeling...

Invited to Shower, not Wedding [ 7 Answers ]

HI.. My nephew is getting married soon, and unfortunately a lot of people are feeling hurt by the choices that are being made. The bride is planning on inviting people to a shower but not to the wedding. Does this seem odd to anyone else? I love my nephew very much and want them to be very happy,...

View more questions Search