Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MessedUp1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 08:04 PM
    How can I recover from years of emotional abuse?
    This is the second time I've typed this message because when I previewed my first email, I lost it, so this version will probably be shorter than the first because I'm emotionally drained now. I have been married for many many years and suffer from what I consider emotional abuse. My marriage started very rocky. My husband has always bullied me into doing what he wanted me to do. For the majority of our married life he has been a fit pitching, temper tantrum throwing, domineering husband. He observed this behavior from his father who ruined many a family dinner because of his nasting attitude toward his mother if dinner was delayed for this or that reason totally out of her control. It was his way or no way and he was king. For this reason, my husband also disrespected his mother. During early years of our marriage, I felt like I was a second class citizen. When we would go somewhere, he'd always for several feet ahead of me. I'd have to catch up to get him to walk "with" me not in front of me. When we'd meet folks he knew, I'd stand waiting for him to introduce me, and sometimes just didn't. We've had many many verbal arguments over disagreements through the years. At one time, he wanted me to leave, to get out. I was so emotionally devastated and dependent on him I was crushed to rubble. I suffered much verbal abuse during this time that I never recovered from. I believe his had an "interest" during this time that he wanted to pursue and knew he couldn't as a married man... so he no longer wanted to be married. Then one day, he just started acting more like himself and decided he was over whatever it was. I never recovered from the rejection and devastation of that time. For years, I thought he would leave me every time we would have an argument. Such an awful way to live. He was able to bully me into doing what he wanted and I did what he wanted for fear he would leave me or not love me. We don't have children because early on I was so uncertain of our future and did not want to bring a child into a volatile marriage with a domineering bullying dad that disrespected his mom. Later, when my time was running out and I desperately wanted him to agree to have children, he blew me off, said he was too old. He wasn't. He was just selfish and involved in his work and hobbies. I have a hole in my heart because I don't have children. All these years, when he wanted me to do something that I didn't want to do, he'd throw a raging fit, I'd get upset, and cry, and then plead with him to do whatever it was he wanted to do. A few years ago, something happened that I can't quite explain. During one of these bullying rages, a switch turned off in me. I didn't get upset, I didn't cry, I didn't concede. I stared out the window of the vehicle as he angrily drove home. That day I believe I emotionally left him. I decided that he would no longer hurt me. Soon he realized something was different in me and there was a confrontation after many months. I told him he didn't want to have the conversation but he insisted. I let him know that I would no longer take what he'd been dishing out over the years. I told him I would find someplace else to live and did not have to live like I'd been living. He asked for another chance and my heart couldn't just refuse his plead... because now he was devastated. That's been several years ago that he asked for another chance and I still feel just as numb today as I did then. It is killing me. I am again emotionally abused because I will feel like the bad one if I leave him. He hasn't had a temper tantrum since that day that he shut my heart off. He changed too late. I grieve for the children I don't have. I grieve for the marriage that he decided too late was important to him. I grieve, I grieve, I grieve. Some days I just don't know which way to turn because I am so emotionally messed up. There is just no easy way out. His family won't be shocked if I leave him because they know he was his daddy made over and know how he's treated me through the years. It makes me so angry that he waited too late to change. Things could have been so different a few years ago. I wish I could have sent my original email because I think I expressed myself better. I just need some advise. This is just soooo difficult. No easy way out. Am I to sacrifice myself? Help!!
    Ginny Finny Posts: 54, Reputation: 6

Sep 12, 2009, 11:44 PM

You remind me A lot of my own mother. My father used to love her, and be a good husband. But as soon as she had me, he began to physically and verbally abuse her. I never ever noticed, because it didn't happen near me, and I was too young to understand anyway. The only reason she stayed with him is so I didn't find out. One day he came home drunk, and while I was upstairs I heard screaming and it was the first time id ever seen him hit her. She had a miserable life, with few friends, all because of him. But she divorced him and we moved overseas. I've never seen her happier, she goes out and has fun, she laughs all the time, and I really love her. She is getting married in a couple of weeks in fiji. My father killed her life, just as your husband is doing to you. You need to start again. Get away from him, don't look back, don't think about him. Friends and family will support you more then he ever could. I know it would be hard for you, because it sounds like you have a beautiful heart. But you can't ruin your life for a man like this.
    annifi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Hi there, no you must NOT sacrifice yourself, you must leave when you are able to. I was in a very emotionally abusive relationship for a long time, I used to feel sorry for my partner, thank fully I got some counselling to help with what I thought was a completely different problem, and ended up talking about the situation at home for the full hour every week. Finally after six months of this I left. My mother was bullied by my dad and still is, she is 82 and she is still suffering, I decided not to spend my life suffering that way and I am so so so so so glad I left. It was over a year ago but I am still recovering. It sounds to me like you have already made the decision to leave and are asking for support to do so. I support you fully in leaving and in recovering and starting a new life. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and feel so very glad that despite some things in my life still being difficult I am very very glad that I left.
    annifi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Hi there, no you must NOT sacrifice yourself, you must leave when you are able to. I was in a very emotionally abusive relationship for a long time, I used to feel sorry for my partner, thank fully I got some counselling to help with what I thought was a completely different problem, and ended up talking about the situation at home for the full hour every week. Finally after six months of this I left. My mother was bullied by my dad and still is, she is 82 and she is still suffering, I decided not to spend my life suffering that way and I am so so so so so glad I left. It was over a year ago but I am still recovering. It sounds to me like you have already made the decision to leave and are asking for support to do so. I support you fully in leaving and in recovering and starting a new life. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and feel so very glad that despite some things in my life still being difficult I am very very glad that I left.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this emotional abuse? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and have never talked about anything before but I am tired of living this way and need some advice. I have been married for 15 years and have 3 step children, all grown and in their 30's, and all still living at home with us. I have approached my husband about...

Emotional Abuse [ 1 Answers ]

When my child's father has come for his visitation and child does not want to go and father tells child you are considered dead to me and recently told child not to call him and he is no longer his father. I know I have to reensure him that he is loved and wanted at our home, but how can I help...

Emotional abuse [ 3 Answers ]

What are the laws against emotional abuse?:confused:

Emotional abuse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi This is my first time on this site. I'll try to be as brief as possible about my problem. I've had a lot of problems of late and found out my ex of many years has been emotionally abusing me. I didn't realise and have ben told this by counsellors after describing the relationship. I've now...

Why is there not a law about emotional abuse? [ 16 Answers ]

Why do people take emotional abuse so lightly? Thank you for your concern and advice, I thank God mostly because without him I would not seek help, and for the times no one was there. I am in the process of recovery. I had gone to a hospital for crisis advice three times in this relationship....

View more questions Search