Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chief3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Shower valve
    I have a Moentrol single lever shower valve and only hot water is working. No cold water. The valve is 19 years old. What can be done short of replacing the valve?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2006, 08:10 AM
    Replace the cartridge. Once that's been replaced you have rebuilt the valve.
    I have put up a exploded view of a Moen shower valve and here are the instructions on how to change the cartridge.
    Turn off the shut off valves to the shower valve and remove the handle
    Remove retainer clip (copper horseshoe shaped clip) and pull out cartridge with channel locks, pliers, or cartridge puller. Lube new cartridge with silicone jel and
    Insert the cartridge with hole on the stem facing the 6 o'clock position, or down in a tub/shower.
    Reinsert retainer clip and screw in handle assembly, followed by the cap or insert button. Turn water back on . My company uses Moen valves on all their new construction. Moen makes a "cartridge puller" That will get those stubborn cartridges out of the valve body if you have a problem. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help on Dripping Shower Valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have an American Standard shower valve that needs to be rebuilt/replaced. I've managed to get the handle off with a puller, but now am stuck trying to remove the stem cover (I'm guessing that's what it's called). Do you have any idea how I get this off (see below). I assume it spins on, as...

Leak in shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

Need some help with a leak in the hot water valve in the shower. It does not leak when the valve is closed, but leaks behind the valve when the hot or the cold water valve is opened up. It appears to me to be a pinhole, but I cannot see it. The leak is only behind the hot (left) even when the cold...

Shower valve body [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new shower in an addition and purchased a new shower kit from Price Pfister. The shower valve is going into a 2x4 wall. The question I have is do they make different sizes of valve bodies because the one I have, when installed according to instructions, will only allow for about...

Changing a shower valve [ 11 Answers ]

How do you know what rough in pipe size (for your new valve)your shower is without opening the wall. My house is 7 years old. There is a bathroom next to it as well.

Shower valve [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? Can you explain all of the differences to me between a thermostatic water valve and a pressure regulated valve, and which one would be the best to use for my new shower for temp. control. I want to avoid those WOWs when someone turns on water somewhere else in the house....

View more questions Search