Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lily301 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Volume Conversions
    Question 1: Assuming biological substances are 90% water and the density of water is 1000 kg/m^3, estimate the massess of the following : a spherical cell with a diameter of 2 micrometers ( volume = 4/3 x pi x radius^3) Answer in units of kg.

Question 2 : A fly approximated by a cylinder 3.5 mm long and 2.4 mm in diameter ( volume = pi x radius^2) Answer in units of kg.

Can someone explain to me the steps of figuring out these two problems?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Question 1: Assuming biological substances are 90% water and the density of water is 1000 kg/m^3, estimate the masses of the following : a spherical cell with a diameter of 2 micrometers ( volume = 4/3 x pi x radius^3) Answer in units of kg.
    A micrometer is 1 millionth of a meter. Therefore, the radius is .000001 m.

Now, calculate the volume using the given formula. That will be in cubic meters, m^3.

Remember to multiply by .90

Question 2 : A fly approximated by a cylinder 3.5 mm long and 2.4 mm in diameter ( volume = pi x radius^2) Answer in units of kg.

Start by Using the volume of a cylinder formula, to find its volume in cubic mm.

There are 1,000,000,000 cubic mm in one cubic meter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Conversions ? [ 1 Answers ]

If 25 micro litres, 40 mM of a substance, what would it be in nmol?

Hexagonal prism volume/special triangles/conversions in one! [ 1 Answers ]

Fred has installed a new swimming pool. The pool is shaped like a right hexagonal prism with a radius of 12 feet and a depth of 7 feet. They plan to have a pool party on the Fourth of July. If they begin filling the pool at noon on the first of July, will the pool be fully filled by noon on the...

Chemistry: Mol conversions [ 1 Answers ]

I am a chemistry student and having trouble comprehending mols. One of my homework/study questions is as follows: "How many zinc ions are present in 30.5g of Zn2 P2 O7 ?" I have tried to work out the answer and cannot figure out how do to do it. Thanks!

Kitchen Conversions [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering... How many litres is 2/3 of a cup? (Soda) How many grams is 2 cups? (shredded cheese) Thanks

View more questions Search