Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krystal01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Does he have rights to
    My ex boyfriend and I have a child together and he is on felony probation for pills and he was shooting crystal meth when my daughter was first born and I don't know if he is still using it but he does have some weird marks on his arms and I know for a fact he still smokes marijuana. I told him to go to the hospital and sign the birth certificate and he didn't so I was wandering does he still have rights to her even if he didn't sign it because I have this weird feeling that he's not going to change antime soon.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2006, 08:29 PM
    Yes, he has all the rights he would have.

What you need to do is file for custody ( since as the father he as equal custody rights to you) and ask for no or controlled visitation from him plus child support.

A father has rights even if not listed.
    teenam1111 Posts: 16, Reputation: -3

Oct 29, 2006, 09:30 AM
    He has rights ONCE he is established as the father . (paternity test and signing the B/C ) Since he didn't have the decency to come and sign the birth certificate . Then the judge should see that he had no interset in the child from the get go . And if he's using drugs and you have proof . Then ask for the judge to order a drug test right then and there ! If you can't afford an attorney go to legal aid in your area . APPLY FOR CUSTODY FIRST ! It will be harder on the Dad to get custody from you . He would have to prove you are unfit , and show that once again he has no interset in the child . If he doesn't visit her or offer anything for child support . Then you could try the child abandonment law .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystal01
    My ex boyfriend and I have a child together and he is on felony probation for pills and he was shooting crystal meth when my daughter was first born
    Hello Krystal:

So, you'll have us believe that while he was shooting up, and smoking pot, you were going to church? Right...

I'm sure you think some of us just fell off the turnip truck. I did not. If HE used drugs, so did YOU. If HE'S unfit because he's a loady, YOU are too.

He MAY be an unfit father, but if you try the tact of making him look bad, when you did the very same thing, the issue of HIS fitness will be lost forever. Plus, YOUR denial may cause your fitness to be questioned, and rightly so.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandma's Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I'm hoping I can get some good advice from some of you out there. Here goes.... My 21 year old son has been living with his girlfriend (we'll call "Julie") for 2 ½ years now. In Oct., 2004 they had a little girl named Alannah. Things have been really "Rocky" with them since they moved in...

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

So you mean I'm a new father with no rights? [ 8 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend just gave birth last Thursday to a baby girl which I believe is mine. She is very manupulative, and yesterday told me never to call or come by again. All through her stay at the hospital, no one, not a single nurse or caregiver would even speak to me - in fact they were more...

Perpetual rights [ 1 Answers ]

I had an uncle that bought perpetual rights across my land before it was in my possession. He said that I can't put a gate up. He also said that he is going to let whoever he want to get across to hunt on his land. Can he do this? How do I stop any joe-blow from coming across my land to get to...

Commonlaw rights [ 1 Answers ]

What rights would I be intitled to once I am married to my partner even if my name is not on the mortgage

View more questions Search