Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaleem51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 04:12 PM
    Convert a 110 outlet to a 220 for an ac
    I have an ac that is a three prong 220. I was wondering what steps I could take to convert a traditional outlet so I can use the air conditioner. Thanks in advance.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 23, 2009, 06:45 PM

You can only change it to 220 if it is the only outlet on that wire and the wire runs directly back to the panel and the wire is the right size for the amperage needed.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 23, 2009, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerro View Post
    You can only change it to 220 if it is the only outlet on that wire and the wire runs directly back to the panel and the wire is the right size for the amperage needed.
    Which is highly unlikely.
    About the only chance you have is if you have a dedicated receptacle, possibly planned for an A/C, existing now in the correct location.

Your best bet is to have a new proper circuit run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Electric Dryer outlet to regular outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a gas dryer, leaving a funky 3 pronged outlet unused. The outlet was connected to the fuse box as a single circuit and I would like to let the new gas outlet take advantage of this. Is there any problem replacing the 'funky' electric dryer outlet to a regular three pronged outlet,...

Convert a 220 to a 110 outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have an unused 220 receptacle which is hot. I want to convert this into a 110 receptacle. I then want to beanch off and run a 110 line to another receptacle to the outside of the house and in a weatherproof box. I have 20 amp breaker(s) to replace slot in panel. Solution? Tom

Convert a 220 outlet to 110 lighting branch circuits [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 220 volt outlet in my basement, no longer used for that purpose. I am finishing my basement into living area and need to add some new branch circuits for lighting and additional outlets. It would be very difficult to run new wiring for the basement lighting to the house main panel which...

Need to Convert Wall Outlet to Fit GE Dryer Cord [ 2 Answers ]

Are there electrical cord converters that you can plug into the outlet. I just moved into a condo that was built in the 70s and my dryer is about 3 yrs old and has a L shaped prong at the top and wider bottom prongs. Is there a converter I can buy? The landlord doesn't want to upgrade to the...

Convert outlet from 110 15 amp to 110 20 amp [ 1 Answers ]

How can we convert a 110 15 amp outlet to a 110 20 amp outlet. Can we just attach the faceplate for the 110 20 amp outlet. We are installing a hot sauna. Thank you.

View more questions Search