Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tominbay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Convert a 220 to a 110 outlet
    I have an unused 220 receptacle which is hot.
    I want to convert this into a 110 receptacle.
    I then want to beanch off and run a 110 line to another receptacle to the outside of the house and in a weatherproof box.
    I have 20 amp breaker(s) to replace slot in panel.
    Solution?
    Tom
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jun 4, 2009, 08:19 PM
    I'm assuming that it's a 20-amp 2-pole breaker in the box. (If it's not 20 amps then ignore all the places I refer to 12-gauge wire; it will probably be some other size). If it's a four-pronged outlet, it is most likely wired with 12/3 wire (meaning 12 gauge wire with 3 conductors, plus a bare ground). If it's only a three-pronged outlet, it may be 12/3 or 12/2 wire. Either way, it doesn't really matter for what you're trying to do.

Obviously make sure the power is switched off so you're not working on a live circuit.

When you unscrew the outlet, you'll find a black wire, a white wire, a bare (or possibly green) ground wire, and maybe a red wire (it will be there if it's 12/3 wire; it won't be if it's 12/2). Disconnect all the wires from the 220V outlet, cap the red wire (if it exists) with a wire nut, and connect the black (hot), white (neutral), and bare (ground) wires to the 110V outlet. If you need more detail on how to do that, just ask. Also, if you're going to use a 20-amp breaker like you indicated you'll need to make sure to buy outlets rated for 20 amps. Otherwise, if you just want to use standard 15-amp outlets, you'll have to use a 15 amp breaker. Also, since there will be an outdoor receptacle connected to this circuit, you'll want to make sure at least one of the outlets is GFI protected or use a GFI circuit breaker in the panel.

Meanwhile, back at the breaker box, you'll have to remove the existing 2-pole breaker and replace it with the a 1-pole breaker. If the outlet was wired with 12/3 wire, the old breaker should have the black and red wires connected to it. In this case, cap the red wire with a wire nut, and connect the black wire to the new 1-pole breaker. Check to make sure the white and bare wires from the same cable are connected to the neutral and ground busses respectively (or your box may have a common bus where both neutrals and grounds are connected). If the outlet was wired with 12/2 wire, the old breaker should have a black wire and a white wire connected to it (the white wire might be marked, painted black, taped, etc. to indicate that it was being used as a hot conductor, rather than neutral). In this case, hook the black wire to the new 1-pole breaker, and hook the white wire into the neutral bus. Check to make sure that the ground wire from the same cable is connected to the ground bus.

At this point, the new 110V receptacle should be ready to work. You can branch off from it with 12/2 wire (or 14/2 wire if you choose to go with a 15 amp breaker) to go to the outdoor receptacle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Electric Dryer outlet to regular outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a gas dryer, leaving a funky 3 pronged outlet unused. The outlet was connected to the fuse box as a single circuit and I would like to let the new gas outlet take advantage of this. Is there any problem replacing the 'funky' electric dryer outlet to a regular three pronged outlet,...

Convert 4 prong 240 generator outlet to 3 prong [ 6 Answers ]

How do I make an extension cord from my 4 prong 240 twist generator outlet to a 3 prong 240 outlet for my radial arm saw?

Convert a 220 outlet to 110 lighting branch circuits [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 220 volt outlet in my basement, no longer used for that purpose. I am finishing my basement into living area and need to add some new branch circuits for lighting and additional outlets. It would be very difficult to run new wiring for the basement lighting to the house main panel which...

Need to Convert Wall Outlet to Fit GE Dryer Cord [ 2 Answers ]

Are there electrical cord converters that you can plug into the outlet. I just moved into a condo that was built in the 70s and my dryer is about 3 yrs old and has a L shaped prong at the top and wider bottom prongs. Is there a converter I can buy? The landlord doesn't want to upgrade to the...

Convert outlet from 110 15 amp to 110 20 amp [ 1 Answers ]

How can we convert a 110 15 amp outlet to a 110 20 amp outlet. Can we just attach the faceplate for the 110 20 amp outlet. We are installing a hot sauna. Thank you.

View more questions Search